Do people really believe that you can proxy baptise?

I'm sorry, but I find this completely stupid. I would love to hear from anyone who actually believes this why. Please, if you are going to try to support it, give biblical references to support it. Otherwise, it's just a made up belief.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:27 PM on Jan. 1, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• There is no Biblical grounds for proxy baptism. In the Bible, you would only be baptized as an outward symbol of an inward faith. It was something you did by choice, after choosing to follow God.

Then Paul said, "John indeed baptized with a baptism of repentance, saying to the people that they should believe on Him who would come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus." Acts 19:4

Baptism is for people who believe in Jesus as Messiah, who were repenting of their sins and seeking God. It represents dying to your sinful nature and being buried, and resurrection. Baptism without faith is just a bath.

Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 3:41 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• It's an interesting idea, not sure why someone would want to but since it's all symbolism anyway I guess it could be done.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:33 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• I'm sorry, but do you really believe that baptism does anything at all? Please, give some evidence to support it. Otherwise it's just a made-up belief.
    Anonymous

• Anon - This is not a question for non-believers. There is plenty of support for baptizm in the bible. However, if you don't believe the bible to be God's word, than that evidence will mean nothing to you.
    Anonymous

• That's exactly what I believe, Cinnamon. I've just seen a lot of people here talking about it lately. I've never heard of such a thing and thought it seemed pretty useless. If they have accepted Christ by death, there's nothing else that can be done.

Anonymous

• I do not believe in proxy baptisim. I think it is disrespectful as well.
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 4:24 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• I dont believe in it either. The point of baptism is to accept God in your live and Jesus as your savior, cant do that if you're dead.
    Anonymous

• OP Here - That is what I believe. I'm just waiting to here from someone who believes in this. I really want to know why.
    Anonymous

• In the Mormon faith (my ex husband and his family are LDS) they strongly believe in baptisms for the dead. They believe that when we die we get one last chance to make it to Heaven (well one of the 3 levels of Heaven I guess, that's what they believe). When someone here on Earth gets baptized for a dead person they believe that it is that persons only way of accepting Jesus and getting to one of the 3 levels. It's really confusing and I'm probably forgetting something, but that's how I was taught about it. I personally don't really understand it and if I found out that someone had gotten baptized in my dead relatives name without anyone's consent, I'd probably be pretty pissed.

Anonymous

• I have never heard of proxy baptism . I better go look it up! :-)
    I am with CinM. on the biblical stance of baptism. It is an outward confession of the inward confession of accepting Jesus as Lord and Savior. It will not be understood by non believers.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 6:13 PM on Jan. 1, 2010