Do your kids hang out at Grandparent's house often?

My son (7) spends the weekend at his grandparent's house and has a great time. But as he gets older his habits get worse over there. He goes for days without brushing his teeth or showering or even changing his underware. I'm trying to get him to be responsible for himself not having to have adults tell him when to wash up (which I know he's probably too young yet for that) but wth?! Does this happen with your kids??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:39 PM on Jan. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• My son rarely goes to grandparents we live 8 hours a way. If we lived closer he wouldn't be there every weekend maybe one every couple months kids that young need to be with mom and dad more than anyone else. My son when he is at my parents or inlaws brushes is teeth, is bathed and changes his underwear. His grandparents would remind him if he forgot. The fact your child grandparents are not would make me not want to send your child there anymore.
    Anonymous

• Simply tell him if he doesn't take care of himself & brush his teeth he can't stay there on weekends. Thats great my kids only get to spend a night a few times a year & their grandparents are 30 minutes away.
    Anonymous

• My son spends just about every weekend at my Moms house. My son and my Step Dad are very close. While I know that my Step Dad will stay on my son about bathing, brushing his teeth and changing clothes, I know that my Mom will make sure that my son does what he is told and is not allowed to do as he pleases.
    My daughter spends the days and early evenings with us but spends nights and weekends with my Husbands Aunt and Grandmother (long story), they make sure she does everything she is supposed to. They know that this shared custody is strictly voluntary on our part and that if we think our daughter is not being treated and disciplined the way we would then she would no longer be allowed to stay with them.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 6:28 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• They do not.
    My mother lives 2 hrs away and she doesnt make an effort to come visit and we dont have a reliable car to get us there and back so it doesnt happen much.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 6:29 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• My son goes once a month for a night. That is when my husband and I have a datnight. The grandparents are really great and they make him brush his teeth, take a bath, and change his clothes. I NEVER worry when he goes because I know they take care of him the same way my husband and I take care of him!
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 6:30 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• My SD3 goes over there on weekends when DH and I work, but never overnight. They are very good at taking care of her. I'd talk with the grandparents and tell them this is what you expect them to make sure he does.
    level1fevi

Answer by level1fevi at 6:41 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• My parents live 550 miles away so my kids never get to spend the night with them, although I wish they did. They spend the night with my in-laws about once a month. The only problem we have is that they don't go to bed early enough so they're usually pretty crabby the next day. I'd tell your son if he doesn't change his underwear and brush his teeth, he's not going there. He's certainly old enough to remember to do those things on his own.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 6:52 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• no never
    nakita72

Answer by nakita72 at 7:11 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• All the time...

Except they demand baths and such at nana's house, she loves to give them baths some days they have more then one. I would just talk to the grandparents.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 7:33 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• Why are the grandparents not making him do these things? That is their responsibility while he's in their care. He's only 7! He may be old enough to do that without any reminders, but obviously he isn't doing it so they need to step in and make sure he does it. If it doesn't get done, he shouldn't stay there. It just teaches him that when he's not with mom/dad then he doesn't have to take care of himself properly.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 7:41 PM on Jan. 1, 2010