Only one breast will give me milk when I pump???

my right breast will give me a few droplets at the bottom of a bottle when my left will have the bottle full... It's getting hard like a rock, lumpy and red around the lumps because the milk wont come out. Is there any way to make the milk come out? I've tried hot compresses and massaging it.. Stimluation of the nipple... My Baby won't latch on but i want him to have the breastmilk still. Im out of ideas on how to get the milk to flow from the right side???

firethearson

Asked by firethearson at 5:10 PM on Jan. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• keep offering him that breast,try giving it to him when he nurses to sleep.i herd cabage leafs work. get in a hot shower and then try to sqeeze some out and massage them.leave the pump on it for at least 5 minutes.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 7:38 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• Cabbage leaves are for drying up the milk, not for expressing it. I agree with the warm shower, let the shower spray hit your breasts and try massaging it, also are you drinking tons of water? I would be surprised if ALL your milk ducts were clogged but I suppose it could happen. I would see your dr about this since you say it's getting red and hard. You don't want it to turn into an infection. Keep encouraging the baby to latch, you should be trying to get him to latch often throughout the day. A baby who doesn't latch for several weeks can just surprise you one day by latching on. Also are you pumping both breasts at the same time? That usually helps with letdown, or have baby nurse (if he will latch on the other side?) while pumping from the right side to stimulate the right one. Also, some women aren't able to get milk with a pump at all, so I'd guess it's possible that sometimes just one side won't produce for a pump.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 7:48 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• maybe PIOG if you have redness on ur breast and it is hurting u, it sounds like you may have breastitus. I had it and had to go on medication and I had a fever of 103. I had the same problems with dd, she wouldnt latch on. Anyway, my doctor told me to stop pumping and only offer breast to my baby. I had flattened nipples at the time also so it was hard for dd to get a good latch. Anyway, after about 7 hours of not eating anything, she finally latched on and she is still going strong! Oh, and try hand pumping its more efficient IMO. One of my friends had her SO breastfeed on the engorged side cuz the baby wouldnt latch on and she couldnt pump.
    Anonymous