Groceries

I've answered some of the "how much do you spend on groceries" questions on here. On some of them, people say they feed their family of 4 or 5 on like $200-$300 a month, and on some of them its opposite, its like $200 a week or more. Regardless of HOW you buy (FS, WIC, cash, or credit) how much does it cost you to feed your family (and how many are in your family?) per month. Do you cook at home a lot?

I have a family of 5 plus 2 cats. Kids get lunch at school when they are in school, and we cook at home every night of the week. DH and DD comes home to eat luch with me every day. Breakfast is at home also except for my oldest 2. Including household supplies, food, and pet supplies, our "grocery" bill runs about $600 a month when the kids are in school and $700 a month when they're not. I also clip coupons and save about $20 per trip, and plan meals and grocery lists ahead of time. Just like to compare to others.

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 5:28 PM on Jan. 1, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Currently, there are 6 of us living in the house. 3 adults, 2 older teens, and one baby. Also, a cat.
    Myself and the baby are home all day so we eat all our meals here at home. She eats a lot of the foods we cook, but she also has her toddler meals.
    DH takes a lunch, and sometimes dinner, to work with him. Sometimes, he has to pay to eat in a restaurant, but he tries to keep it cheap.
    Adult DD buys a lot of her own foods and feeds herself breakfast & lunch, dinner, too, most times, but she will eat what we cook if she's home.
    Teen DD's bring snacks to school and eat breakfast once in awhile.
    We cook dinner every night to eat as a family and we cook 2 healthy meals on weekends. Plus we snack a lot on fruits & veggies.
    We spend between $400 - $500 per month on groceries and DH eating out.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 11:51 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I spend about 400 a month just the three of us. I cook from scratch healthy meals each day. I make breakfast for all three of us and send my husband and son lunches to work and school. I make a balanced and nutrition packed meal for dinner. We save so much money eating healthy we stay full and rarely snack. We don't need to save could spend 1200 a month on groceries I am a saver and all about health so eating the way we do is a great thing.
    Anonymous

• 3 of us, I average about $50/wk, including our kitchen/bathroom/cleaning supplies. My average coupon savings is about $40-80/wk. We primarily cook from scratch, though occasionally we fill in with frozen pizza or pre-made soup. I've never really broken it down to how much of that is food vs how much is everything else, though the bulk of it is food, because most of the cleaning stuff is free.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:56 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• I cook at home 90% of the time. Seldom do we eat out. I would say we spend about 200$ a month for me and my son. I have made it one month by spending only 100. That was hard!
    This month I went over board and spent about $250. Lots of after Christmas sales!
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 6:04 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• I spend anywhere between $600 and $700 per month for my family of four. My preschooler brings lunch everyday, my 19 month old obviously eats at home and my hubby 98% of the time comes home for lunch. I don't use coupons, but that is one of my resolutions this year.
    itsjaimiehere

Answer by itsjaimiehere at 6:08 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• Another of my issues I think is that we have to cook SUPER healthy. I am on a restricted diet due to medical issues. I have to eat low fat all the time, and low sodium like 90% of the time at least, and non-dairy. We live on things like 99% lean ground turkey, whole wheat/whole grain bread and pasta, homemade sauces for everything, boneless skinless chicken breast (or I cook whole chickens and I just eat the breast part), rice, dried beans and lentils, fresh fruit, fresh and frozen vegetables. 90% of what we eat is from scratch. Also it is very disappointing to me that there are not a lot of coupons for healthy items, and that none of the stores in my area ever do double or triple coupon. But it is nice shopping at the commissary!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 6:20 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• There are 5 of us and Id say we spend around $3-400 a month. Maybe a titch more occasionally.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 6:21 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• Also it is very disappointing to me that there are not a lot of coupons for healthy items

Are you on any coupon trains? I know there are some on CM, and other sites just for couponing have them. It's a little extra work - you have to cut all the ones you don't use to pass on, but there are a lot of coupons out there for organics in some regions. I'd only see them a few times a year here, but when I was on a national train, I'd get them year round from different areas.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:46 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• about 450 a month lots of home cooked meals theres 4 of us
    MaKettle87

Answer by MaKettle87 at 6:49 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• Thanks NotPanicking I'll have to look into that.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 9:14 PM on Jan. 1, 2010