Question about storing breastmilk

I am breastfeeding right now but on January 25th I will be returning to work full time. I would like to start storing my breastmilk for when I return to work. I was just wondering how to store it and what things work to store it in. Are plastic bottles ok to freeze breastmilk in or are glass bottles ok? Or do I have to buy the storage containers? Thanks in advance!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:33 PM on Jan. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I used the storage bags they sell. I wouldn't use glass bottles simply because they can break when going from the freezer to the thawing water. And you shouldn't thaw in the microwave because it destroys important nutrients. Go with plastic bottles or like I said the storage bags.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 5:49 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• Storage bags work the best IMO. I also found it helpful to only store about 4oz. max in each bag to start because you won't waste as much as you figure out how many bottles and ozs your baby takes in a day.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 6:16 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• i like whittears answer... Storage bags work the best IMO. I also found it helpful to only store about 4oz. max in each bag to start because you won't waste as much as you figure out how many bottles and ozs your baby takes in a day. i would not store in bottles. and remember to defrost in warm water in a bowl or in the sink. not the microwave.
    MaKettle87

Answer by MaKettle87 at 6:43 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• yep the storage bags work best and take up the least amount of space, my best advice is to lay them flat when freezing them and then they stand up well in an ice cube container
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 6:44 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• Storage bags. The flat storing saves very much space. I store mine in 2 oz bags because they thaw out faster that way. 4 oz in a bag I suppose isn't bad, I just can't handle the thought of my baby having to wait any longer than nessecary when he's used to getting it right away. I got a milk storage container as a shower gift and it compresses the bags for you and comes with a divider so the bags don't freeze together, it has a lid and that lid can second as an extra storage container. That way you don't have to lay them down in the freezer until they're frozen, I like it.
    TruckersWife426

Answer by TruckersWife426 at 2:00 AM on Jan. 2, 2010