how do you feel about letting a baby cry it out?

I am completely 100% against it, i have done my research and believe there is no acceptable time to let your baby cream alone in his room.

But i want to see other mom's opinion about this subject and please explain why you feel the way you feel.

newmommyy322

Asked by newmommyy322 at 2:36 PM on Jun. 25, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well, I am 100% for it. It worked for me. Both of my children cried it out and they are great sleepers. I had both of my kids on a schedule and that is what worked for me. If its not what you like then dont do it.
    Anonymous

• I think that once you have met all your childs needs, that sometimes they have pent up energy, and the only way for them to get it out is through crying. I don't agree with parents giving up or letting their child cry for hr's. I just know that when my oldest was yonger that she wouldn't want to go to sleep sometimes, and I would hold her for a while, make sure she was comfy, changed, fed, and had a drink, and then she would have to cry for about 5-10 min. before she would fall to sleep.
    lynenedubbels

Answer by lynenedubbels at 2:39 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• I do it and it is working. I did it at night time, she was fed, changed and would be asleep in my arms and when I put her down she screamed. I would pat her bottom give her a kiss and leave the room. Once she cried to the point she sounded possessed then I went back in (but that only happened about 3 times) Once she got to that point I knew that she just needed me and she wasn't okay. But sometimes she cried for 10 minutes then fell asleep and was fine.
    If you don't agree with it DON'T DO IT. You will be miserable if you try to do it and are 100% against it.
    Lyndsay13

Answer by Lyndsay13 at 2:44 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• It's a tricky one for me. There are times where I don't believe it's a good thing to do at all and times where I feel it's necessary. Before 6 months I don't think it should be done AT ALL! After 6 months it depends on why. If they're hungry and you want to wait to feed them...then NO. That's insane. If they're teething/hurt and you're tired of comforting them....NO. That's cruel. If they're tired but don't want to sleep and they've been fed, changed, and have no other needs other than needing to go to sleep. MAYBE. It sort of depends on the age and if you've tried rocking and singing to them. If they're crying for a long time or start to sound distressed then NO. *shrugs*
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 2:52 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• I am all for it, but not too early. My son was 10 months when we started it. I didn't alter my night time routine at all, but instead of rocking him until he was totally asleep, I would rock him for 10 minutes & then put him in the crib. Sometimes he was asleep, sometimes not. Sometimes he would cry, sometimes not. If he cried for longer than 10 minutes, I would calm him, but he would usually pass out after 3-4 minutes. I do believe that some kids are very stubborn & it doesn't work for everyone, but it did work for us.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 2:57 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• I hate doing it but sometimes it is necessary. i make sure his fed, dry, warm or cool egough, then i let him cry sometime he has energy that the only way for him to let it out is by crying. also it teach him self relience and how to entertain himself. little ones are very smart, if you run to them everytime they make a wimper you will have one spoil little one on your hands and no time to do anything else
    mom2gavahnyaand

Answer by mom2gavahnyaand at 3:16 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• When they are first born I do not believe in it. The only time you should let your child cry it out is if you have exhausted ALL resources.
    zaksmom8278

Answer by zaksmom8278 at 4:50 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• I'm for it. My doctor told me to do it for my son when he wouldn't go to sleep until real late and then wake up real early. I did it and it worked so well! He has slept great ever since. :)
    sunshinepraying

Answer by sunshinepraying at 5:32 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• Check empathic parenting.org. They have a LOT of GOOD advice. Then see what you feel is right for your child. I was often told to be harsher with my first baby, but I followed my own instincts to respond all the time to him. Later, people wondered why I had such a calm happy toddler & preschooler. ... Well, duh. Read the empathic parenting.org site for more detailed thoughts on caring for your child - they have really thoroughly considered things.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 5:33 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• Every baby, every family is different.

Like you, I was 100% against it. I couldn't imagine anything so awful as letting your little one cry alone in the dark.

Then my daughter arrived and I quickly realized that a "one size fits all" approach does NOT work for all babies

My daughter would not fall asleep if there was any stimulation. She wouldn't sleep in her stroller, in my arms, in a swing. She wouldn't sleep in a front carrier, if I rocked her, if I sat in her room quietly. The only way she would fall asleep was to leave her alone in her dark room and let her "wind down" in her own way - which was screaming.

That was my first big lesson in accepting other parents' approaches to parenting, in not judging other parents' choices for themselves and their families.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:02 PM on Jun. 25, 2008