Does your kid(s) still sleep in the bed with you??

My 5 year old has to start sleeping in her own bed. At night shes all over the bed..... Most of the time she will not get in the bed with out me. I dont know what to do. I was so against it at first now I know why.
If you have any ideas on how I can wean her off into her room let me know. If your child sleeps in your bed how was he/she before you realized it was time???
I will say this "if your kids dont sleep in your bed with you keep it that way, because its harder than you think.... If I ever have any more they will definately sleep in their own beds.

rosesrred1

Asked by rosesrred1 at 6:15 PM on Jan. 1, 2010 in Just for Fun

• my 21 month old sleeps with us and im still nursing. im planning on weaning around 2. if we were in our own place i think i would put her in her own bed. sometimes i already do that. have u tried decorating her room to her liking? and maybe have a way she can call you if she gets scared in the middle of the night. like a walkie talkie? idk, im not there yet. lol. i hope it works out. =) maybe bring her bed in your room and have her help decorate it. run the idea by her. tell her its hard for you when she is in your bed. she is old enough to understand. maybe bring the idea of sleepovers up. if shes in your bed she can't have her friends come over and spend the night.
    MaKettle87

Answer by MaKettle87 at 6:23 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• Oh my gosh, it is like you are ME lol! My 5 year old also still tries to come get in our bed at night, every night, and we are just now breaking her of it. We have made her room a super nice, welcoming place, got her a new pillow case with her name embroidered on it, put her in bed with three or four of her stuffed animals every night, and i have to leave her tv on with no volume (just turned on to a blank station) so that she has that light. It's difficult but working!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 6:38 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• My SD3 slept with her father in the bed up until we got married. Then, we slowly got her to sleep in her bed. He'll go and lie down with her and read her a book in our bed for about 20 mins and then he leaves and she falls asleep. Then, when we go to bed we move her to her own bed (which is at the foot of our bed, we have a 1 bedroom) and she stays there for the whole night. She used to wake up and try to come back to our bed, but we'd just put her back in hers. Sometimes she'll wake up with bad dreams, but she'll stay in bed and go back to sleep.
    level1fevi

Answer by level1fevi at 6:53 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• We kicked our son out of our bed when he was 3. He didn't like it at first, but we just kept telling him that he's a big boy and needs his own bed. Also, mommy and daddy like their space back. Also, he was just too big to share the bed with anymore. Now, we will let him come snuggle in the mornings, but only after the sun comes up. Our daughter never wanted to share, so it wasn't a problem with her.

Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 7:10 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• Our sons have NEVER slept in bed with us unless they wake up in the middle of the night and have gotten sick or had a really bad nightmare(and both instances are very rare).

We dont believe in co-sleeping so we've never done it.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 7:46 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• Whatever you do, do it slowly. This is all your daughter knows, and it will probably be hard on her. We never had a problem moving our children to big kid beds, so everyone's experience is different.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 7:57 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• She slept in the bed with us only once. I was such a nervous wreck, terrified that I or my husband would roll over on her, that I didn't sleep at all that night. Not one single bit. Plus she won't sleep anywhere except her carseat or crib now anyway.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 8:46 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• Well my daughter is ALL over the bed and when I wake up I find myself on the edge of my bed...... Im surprised I havent fell out of the bed yet, LOL.
    rosesrred1

Answer by rosesrred1 at 9:15 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• Yeah Im gonna have to figure it out. Just needed some advice :)
    rosesrred1

Answer by rosesrred1 at 9:16 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• You made a rookie mistake, important thing is you learned and won't repeat it the next time.
    Anonymous