Aren't they suppose to test home schoolers?

I know very little about homeschool laws. I'm not against homeschooling if you do it right. But I have family whose never sent their 8 yr old or their teen to school because they are afraid they will be teased. Well of course they will. Its a right of passage for pretty much everyone. Anyway. My DD is the same age (8) and has almost a 4th grade reading lvl. She's just under the score to make it forth grade. She's in second grade btw. Yet her cousin cannot read anything more than baby books with a picture and one word or two. They say they home school her but obviously if they are testing the child the parents are filling the test out or something. How do the authorities make sure its the students doing the work?
I won't contact anyone because our relationship is already strained. We dont get along well and I don't want to alienate them further. I just want to know how the authorities know its the children who are learning.

SalemWitchChild

Asked by SalemWitchChild at 6:20 PM on Jan. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• It really depends on the state in which you live on how it works as far as the school/state testing or keeping tabs on homeschoolers. Some states are strict and some are WAY lenient.(and I mean they are not in your business at all) I homeschooled for a while(and no my son was NOT teased when he went into reg. school and he was right on track) and it was nice because in our state (TX) they are pretty much hands off as far as keeping tabs on homeschooling parents. However some people do, unfortunately take BIG-TIME advantage of that, saying that they are homeschooling their kids when they really are not. This sounds very much like what you are talking about. If you are worried, you could call in on them... but like you said it could cause probelms. Think of it this way, what is more important here, the children or this already problematic relationship.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 6:36 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• Most states have laws in place for testing during the year for those that homeschool.

It really varies by state from everything Ive read and seen. Most states also have the parents send in schedules of what will be taught,etc.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 6:28 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• Depends on the state. There are no testing or regulations in my state. You just have to fill out paperwork with the school district to say you are homeschooling and that is it. They offer testing if the parents want to use it but it's not required and neither is monitoring.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:42 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• Im a teacher and I know some states dont really have much in place. You have to do things like feel out a schedule and map of what you are teaching or supposed to be teaching but no one is standing over your back and making you do it. Also with homeschool you have the choice of picking your own curriculum and books to use, which if you dont really know what you are doing may or may not necessarily meet all state requirements and standards.
    I know you dont want to call on them but I would question them out of concern. The parents may very well be teaching everyday but everybody cant be a teacher. Its more too it than reading directions and doing worksheets. You really have to know the development of children and how to teach them.
    lilmsnay83

Answer by lilmsnay83 at 7:43 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• I am a home schooling mom of three. Each state has its own laws regarding testing. I have never had my children tested. I did the research and found that I didn't agree with the tests and how they were done. The test we have here, the WASL is now being removed as ineffective at judging a childs abilities.
    You have no idea why this child cannot read. Until you get to know the parent or the child further, it would be best to simply observe.
    One of the things I have learned with my kids is that every single child will learn at thier own pace given sufficient coaching. My kids were all reading at junior high level by age 9, and high school level by age 12. My 9th grader is now doing a online school and AP studies. My middle schooler is doing the same program for middle school. It is so much harder then the work being done in the local schools it isn't even funny. I realize I am not fully a homeschooler any more, but (con't)
    Anonymous

• you need to realize not everyone homeschools thier child according to state scope and sequence. Many of us believe in letting the child mature before teaching reading. When you let a child grow up a bit first before tackling a hard subject, quite often they will be able to learn it very quickly.
    This approach of instilling acedemics in the very young is a very new idea.
    Anonymous

• Each state has their own home educating laws. Some are more strict than others. The state I live in is very strict and I have lots of laws to abide by and paperwork to turn in and my children will take the same standardized testing that public school will take when the time comes. However, as for your nephew, all children do things on their own level and maybe that is the case and he is just not ready to read yet. Most homeschooling parents teach on the level their children are on and no two children are alike. For instance, my dd is 5 and is on a 2nd grade reading level, but she was reading to read, most kids at her age are not.... If you are concerned, casually ask them how so and so is doing with schooling.
    Anonymous

• i am a homeschooling mom and my son gets tested face to face with a teacher and at a certain grade he will start taking scantrons also.but in our state they have strict standards for home schooled children. so that they can eventually go to a public school
    Anonymous

• My mom's best friend's granddaughter is going to end up like the little girl you're talking about. She's four...five, I can't remember, she's not in school yet. Her parents keep her "penned up" in her room with two gates and the door locked so she can't get out. They took all the toys out of her room because she was "destructive" with them. My mom's friend kept her one time and said all of her panties had shit stains in them...and her butt was raw with diaper rash. She also said that she was a little "hellion" in her words, lmao. I kid you not, this is all true. It seems like something you'd see in a movie. They say they don't want to send the girl to school because they think school is a socialist regime or some shit.

Crazy ass mofos. I'd turn them in, but I have no physical proof of their wrongdoings. The dad sits on the computer and the mom has a phobia of driving cars. So sad.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 8:37 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• Many states have a high school equivalency exam for non-traditionally schooled children. They'll have to take something in order to prove proficiency if they ever go to college.

That is very unfortunate for the children. Contacting CPS can be a very frightening experience. I personally would exhaust all other opportunities to interfere on behalf of the children before contacting authorities. Can you recruit a different family member to help?
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 8:41 PM on Jan. 1, 2010