Is this an embarassment ?

http://www.smh.com.au/world/blackwater-massacre-case-dismissed-20100101-llsa.html

A federal judge has dismissed criminal charges against five guards working for the security firm Blackwater who were accused of killing 17 unarmed Iraqi civilians. The killings strained US-Iraq relations and sparked an outcry over the military's use of private contractors.

Judge Ricardo Urbina said US Justice Department prosecutors improperly built their case on sworn statements that had been given under a promise of immunity. The judge did not rule on the substance of the charges against the security guards. As government contractors, the Blackwater employees were required to speak to an investigator after a shooting.

Jan Schakowsky, ----- said she was dismayed by the news. ''A question I've been asking for a long time is, 'Can these private military contractors actually get away with murder?' This indicates that the answer is yes.''

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:32 PM on Jan. 1, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• If the prosecutors can't get their case together, then oh well Thats how the system works in the good ole US of A
    After all it wouldn't be fair to excuse the way the case was built if you aren't planning on excusing acts supposedly done.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 6:46 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• The prosecutions lack of foresight and adherence to protocols is the embarrassment!

Anonymous

• Judge Ricardo Urbina said US Justice Department prosecutors improperly built their case on sworn statements that had been given under a promise of immunity.

This happens in many criminal trials where OTHER criminals are given reduced sentences for testifying against other criminals....which means they have OBVIOUS credibility issues

'Can these private military contractors actually get away with murder?' This indicates that the answer is yes.''  Very disturbing

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 8:21 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• Like Sweet said, in other situations that kind of testimony is used to convict someone. I'm truly horrified. It's easy for some to say "well the prosecution didn't do their jobs right". But in the majority of cases the way they built their case would've been fine - so why not in this situation? And what if you had been a family member of one of those who was murdered? Would you be OK with this outcome? I know I definitely would NOT be.
    mommy_lisa25

Answer by mommy_lisa25 at 9:12 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• I agree with the OP. It is an embarrassment that the prosecution was not better prepared. Shame on them.
    Anonymous

• http://www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100102/GJNEWS_01/701029973

Here's so more info on it from my local newspaper... I actually went to school with one of the guards in question, although I didn't know him. I think my cousin was friends with him.
    Koukla12905

Answer by Koukla12905 at 8:33 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I find it interesting that given the fact that the prosecution failed to prepare well enough to win this case, that no one seems concerned about the upcoming 9/11 terror trials being held in NYC, or the to be determined trial of the Nigerian Panty Bomber.

What if their slimy AMERICAN defense attorneys mange to find a loophole or manage to sway an AMERICAN judge or jury in their favor (you know to make a name for themselves), and the terrorists walk and/or are deported, only to be given a second chance at killing Americans?!

Then what?! More "wait and see?!" No thanks!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:04 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Blackwater saved my husband's life more times in Fallujah then the Army unit that was SUPPOSED to be their back up.
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 10:21 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• The prosecution must not have have any other evidence besides the word of the terrorists they gave immunity to. Therefore, the embarrassment is theirs. Many of you forget the defense is not the one with the burden of proof, that would be the prosecution. Defense does not have to do anything at all if the prosecution hands them the reasonable doubt on a silver platter such as they would have with this case.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:24 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• - have had, pardon me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:25 AM on Jan. 2, 2010