10mth and 22mth old sharing a room

I have a 22mth old and a 10mth old. I put them in the same room but I am having a difficult time getting them to sleep at night. Ex. Last night I put my daughter to bed at 7. (her usual time) and she fell asleep, I then put my son to bed at around 8:30, (his usual time). Well he was screaming and screaming and woke up his sister. So I brought her out and tried getting her to sleep while my son was crying. Well we have a 2 bedroom apartment and its small. She couldnt fall asleep with me because she coulc hear him crying. So I put her in the room and took him out. She fell asleep and he was layin down with me in the living room until 11:00pm. is there another easier way of doing this? I really dont know what to do, I can barely get any sleep at night because of it. Should I rid it out and see what happens? Or move her bed back in my room?

proud_mommy1322

Asked by proud_mommy1322 at 7:03 PM on Jan. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Since their bedtime is only about an hour apart, maybe you could start working them towards the same schedule?? around 8? Im not really sure, if there's not that much space, they may just have to get used to each other crying. If you can keep one in your room, then maybe that would work, while you're getting their schedules togther.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 7:08 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• i would let them screamit out!! there is nothing wrong with crying and they will ty and scream over each other and then it will get silent!! but i agree with callie i would start puttin them together at the same time like 8 is a nutral time and i should work out!!! I also have a 2 yr old and 10 month olod and they share a room! and at first they screamed and screamed and now we say our pryers together and the baby watches then when i leave i can hear my 2 yr old signin to keep the baby quiet!!! itll work out just hang in ther a little longer
    Perdy

Answer by Perdy at 7:37 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• My boys are 13 months apart. When they started to share a room we just made their bedtime the same. It was so much easier. I would get the youngest to sleep and if the oldest was still awake I would lay with him for a little while (he was in a toddler bed) They are now 2 and 3. Now we can put the 2 year old to bed and let the 3 year old stay up sometimes a half hour later. This now actually works better most nights because now they are both in toddler beds and just want to play together when they go to bed at the same time. lol
    Anonymous

• My two oldest share a room (4 & 2 years old) and my 2 year old can be quiet obnoxious and used to keep my 4 year old awake. I would try putting the one who's being the noisemaker to bed first being that you're starting them into sharing a room younger. Mine just started sharing about 6 months ago when my son turned 2, so he was easier to make understand that his brother needed to sleep and I'm able to put them in bed at the same time. Sometimes he still keeps his brother awake, it's the tough part of having kids sharing a room I guess, lol. Good luck!
    TruckersWife426

Answer by TruckersWife426 at 1:55 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Try puttin your oldest to bed first then rocking the youngest or putting him to bed after he's already asleep. I agree with Callie, you should start moving thier bed times closer together also. Then it may be possible to attend to both of them in the same room at the same time. Also, try a bed time routine, start by making the house quiet/lights low, they have thier baths, drink a cup of milk, read a story, and my daugter liked those "natural sounds" cds, like the ones with water trickling or crickets chirping. Make it as peaceful and sleepy as possible. You may even push thier bed time back by another hour (gradually of course). Good luck...I hope you find something that works.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:27 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Well see their bedtime used to be at the same time. But they both screamed for about an hour and i couldnt take it anymore
    proud_mommy1322

Answer by proud_mommy1322 at 7:57 PM on Jan. 3, 2010