how to stop breastfeeding cold

im trying to breastfeeding my 1 year old daughter,
i was trying to wait till she was ready but she relays on breastfeeding way to much an i need to go back to work.
dose any one have any advise for stopping breastfeeding cold turkey ??

redivy

Asked by redivy at 7:19 PM on Jan. 1, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just like anything else you stop it they will fuss for a few days and then be fine with it. Also I would start with a sippy cup not a bottle. You just have to tough out the tough few days of fussiness without giving in.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 7:20 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• thank you yeah she takes a sippy cup an a bottle she likes the nipple on the bottle but im going to give her the bottle than sippy cup onces she completely off the breast i think
    redivy

Answer by redivy at 7:23 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• i jsut did this with my 10 month old and not by choice i dried up and had no choice and she sdoing really good!! what i have found that helps is the peidisure and she takes it just fine and loves it and has adjusted very well good luck!!!
    Perdy

Answer by Perdy at 7:28 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• Well yes it is just like anything else they fuss, but there is also the issue that if done cold then mom can get mastitis which is a very painful infection. Why do you think she relies on it way too much? At 12 months old my daughter actually started refusing pumped milk while I worked, but she still nursed while I was at home. Maybe you could do something like that. They still will get many benefits from the breast milk for as long as you nurse and the WHO and AAP recommend going until at least 2 years old now.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:29 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• I tried to wean my son after he turned 1 but he was so demanding I had to stop cold and never turn back. I just picked a day and pumped a few bottles and refused to nurse. He was pissed, he threw the bottle at bedtime and screamed himself to sleep. Day 2 was easy and I thought wow that wasn't bad one day of fuss but day 3 was horrible, he was going through nursing withdrawal and wanted everyone to know it. After that though he would try to almost sneak and nurse or see if I'd changed my mind but he soon got over it.
    1st_LadyD

Answer by 1st_LadyD at 7:37 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• well its that she dose throw big fights over not breastfeeding ive been supplementing with whole milk for the last month in a half now an shes starting to get better at drinking it. it take way to much out of me to keep breastfeeding i think ive done a good job being able to do it as long as i have for being a young mother. an i feel that it is time to stop.
    redivy

Answer by redivy at 7:53 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• well i commend you for sticking with it for a yr it is not easy to do at all and for lasting a year good job!!! and it is not a bad thing to want to stop!! I personally am all for breast feeding for babys first year and up tp 18n months but when the child is old enough to ask for it or reaches for your boob in public i think its time to stop!!!!
    Perdy

Answer by Perdy at 8:18 PM on Jan. 1, 2010