under weight babies?

my 1st was born 5lbs 1 oz and was 6 weeks early he is now 3 and 26 lbs and hasnt really gainned weight in the past year. his doc says its because he has been so sick and under developed.

now with my 2nd who is 16 lbs at 9 months old he was 4 weeks early and was 5lbs 15 oz. he is developing normal and eat just dont gain and dr isnt worried about him at all.

should i go with the dr and not worry or should i look into testing or idk give them lots of sugar?

Lacrisha

Asked by Lacrisha at 7:19 PM on Jan. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My 10 year old was only 6lb 6oz at birth and she was overdue, at a year old she only weighed 17 pounds, at 10 (almost 11) she weighs 80 pounds. The dr told me that she was way underweight as a toddler but I never really gave it much thought because she was born in the 90th percentile in length and 10th percentile in weight- that didn't change as she's grown, she's still tall and thin. Some kids just don't gain weight real fast, if he's eating well and tolerating food without issue then I wouldn't worry too much. Wait until he's 16 and eating you out of house and home! :)
    Chynasmom

Answer by Chynasmom at 10:07 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• sugar will not make them fat....it will only exacerbate the problem. Sugar is not good for people in general so it's especially not good for a toddler.

3 years and 26lbs is not TERRIBLY awful. I would say that if he eats right and plays well then he is a-okay.

I know a 5 year old who is only 29lbs. Her mother feeds her candy and caffeinated soda's and doesn't make her eat the right foods or the right amount of food. She also isn't potty trained which is another story.

on average, premie babies SHOULD have caught up with full-term babies by the age of 18 months so I doubt he's small just because he was premature. If he doesn't catch up with the other kids by the age of 4, I would have him tested.
    Mrs.Mack.

Answer by Mrs.Mack. at 7:35 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• What do mean by under developed? Like he is just small? or does he have other issues? If your son is always sick and not gaining weight then talk to your doctor about testing. If your son is just small I wouldn't worry. My daughter is almost 3 and only weighs 22 pounds. She is healthy, has energy, and is developing just fine. The doctor did test her kidneys last year, but the test turned out fine and I declined to have her tested further.

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 7:36 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• poop
    Anonymous

• i mean he is under developed like gross motor and speach,. he is in a special pre school and they have been working with him. he didnt walk tell he was 2 and stuff like that. i have had him tested and everything but development and eye and ear problems he is ok. we fixed his eye problem and his ears we are still working on he has had 2 tubes put in and is having a 3rd set put in. he has some hearing loss in his left ear but nothing bad.
    Lacrisha

Answer by Lacrisha at 7:51 PM on Jan. 1, 2010