Why do people feel that putting your child in daycare is having someone raise your child?

I dont want any arguments or anything but I was just curious as to why some people look at childcare as something bad. The children learn, they do arts and crafts, they get to socialize, they get breakfast, snack and lunch so I dont understand why people say "I dont want someone else raising my child". (I saw someone post that which is why I ask).
My daughter has been in childcare since she was 2 months old. I didnt want to put her in that early but I had no choice since I had to go back to work to pay the bills. But I love her daycare. She will be 2 on thursday and has been at the same daycare. My daughter is really smart and advance and loves going to school in the morning. She is the only child so her being at daycare lets her play with other children and do fun things.
Im a teacher and I personally just dont see whats so wrong with it. If I could have stayed home I probably would.

lilmsnay83

Asked by lilmsnay83 at 7:37 PM on Jan. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• Did you know this question comes up once a month? If you search you can find all sorts of good debates.
    That said, if you put someone into someone elses care for a consistant time and manner you can change things about that person, how they eat, behave, dress. I don't want that for my kids. I don't want someone elses values either. I think that people who disagree are simply afraid of the truth and either are unwilling to accept it or are not comfortable in their own strength of character to raise their own kids.
    Anonymous

• I think it's just the simple fact that when they are that young there's so much you could miss if you work full time because the majority of their waking hours would be spent in somebody else's care. Not to mention they follow the rules and routines of the daycare all through the week and I personally would feel like I had to follow right along with that (to a point) so as not to disrupt their schedule and routine etc. on my days off. If they spend more time with somebody else than they do you, they are going to have the chance to learn more from that person, mannerisms, personal beliefs...you name it. I think the idea behind a statement like that is pretty straight forward if you think about it. (I would never knock anybody for putting their child in daycare because they have to work, I had to do it at one time, but if I personally had the choice I would always choose to stay home).
    Anonymous

• ok so ima start my answer with a question y didnt you want to put her in so early!!??? and my answer to this is yes child care ccan be benifcial at some point and is a good thing every once in awhile!! Im a stay at home mom and twice a month i take my kids to daycare so i can have some me time i have 3 at home!! And then theres my other question since you put your child in day care did you get to her her say her first word? laugh out loud for the first time? roll for her first time? crawl? take her first step? My thing with daycare everyday is you miss out on all those things and those are once in a lifetime experiences!! and someone else is getting to enjoy them and brag to you about them rite?
    Perdy

Answer by Perdy at 7:45 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• I am a preschool teacher and I teach 2 year old's but I have also worked with all of the ages in some way or another. I do not feel that I am raising someone elses child. Yes, I do guide them and teach them, but I also get to hand them back over to their parents at the end of the day. I personally feel that the parents and I work together as a team. They let me know about what is going on at home, and I let them know what is going on at daycare. By doing that, their child is receiving the best care, guidance, and learning they can possible receive. If anything the phrase- It takes a village to raise a child- is what comes to mind, however, I am not single handedly raising them myself. The only child that I completely raise is my son. Not sure if this really makes sense, but it is the way I feel.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:50 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• As a preschool teacher there are certain kids in my care from 6am-6pm, 5 days a week. With that they would be picked up brought home for dinner and a bath and put to bed only to come in at 6am the next day.
    CuteandCurvy

Answer by CuteandCurvy at 7:54 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• Thank you two ladies for answering honestly. I agree with alot of it and disagree with some. My daughter doesnt go to an in home daycare but to a center so technically they are not allowed to bestowe their beliefs upon the children. My daughter has definitely picked up alot from school such as saying her grace before eating, feeding herself and drinking out of a cup. I do agree that I think they are the reason she can do so much on her own because I would have just "baby" her or tried to. I def agree with the 2nd person about the schedule and time because I have had to adjust my schedule to hers to keep her on track. With me being a teacher Im off in the summer and its weird that I have to remember at this time she would be doing this at daycare and I try to follow so she can stay with a routine. I dont think I missed out on things. I seen her learn to crawl and walk. I potty trained her and im teaching her alot.
    lilmsnay83

Answer by lilmsnay83 at 7:57 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• Because I am away from home alot I do make sure every moment we have we do something special. Our Saturdays are usually full of things and summer and spring break are covered too. Now that Im finally finished with graduate school I have a little more time in the afternoon I do make sure we use it wisely.
    lilmsnay83

Answer by lilmsnay83 at 7:59 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• To Perdy: I didnt want to put her in daycare so early because I felt like most new moms do. We are just getting to know each other and Im letting you go, but I also looked at it like Im a single mom, mommy pays the bills, mommy provides the food and we gotta eat and have a roof over our head. So i didnt have a choice. I did get to hear her laugh. I dont know if I was the first one to hear her laugh or if I was the first one to see her walk or attempt to crawl because she was never good at it she just scooted, but I did see it. I hear her laugh all the time she is so happy, I did get to see her try and crawl I video recorded it and showed it to her daddy. I did watch her learn to walk and run. Like I said I dont know if I was the 1st one but I did see it and it thrilled me every time.
    lilmsnay83

Answer by lilmsnay83 at 8:03 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• Daycare and preschool are two different things. Add up the number of hours they are awake at daycare and the number of hours they are awake with you. It doesn't count if they are asleep at home. It's about even, or more at daycare. Now who's actually raising your child?
    Anonymous

• Putting your kid in daycare is the same thing as putting them in a school. Kids spend just as much time in middle school as they do in daycare. I'd rather my child learn how to eat by himself from a daycare teacher rather than learning the beliefs of a math teacher he had in school.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 8:04 PM on Jan. 1, 2010