A question about reflux babies?

My 3 month old has had bad reflux since she was a couple weeks. She has been on zantac since she was 4 weeks. At her last check up the doctor increased her dose according to her weight. Lately though it seems like the zantac isn't working. She fusses when she is eating (breastfed exclusively), throws her arms back and tightens up. I read somewhere that relux tends to peak before it gets starts to get better. Has anyone expirenced this? Did your babies reflux peak then start to decline?

lilysmom2607

Asked by lilysmom2607 at 7:49 PM on Jan. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• My oldest child had terrible stomach problems, she vommited all the time, had severe gas, and was just miserable. They told me she was lactose intolerant and had colic... neither of which was true, she had reflux. One of the things I learned when she was little though was to swaddle her pretty tightly when she seemed to be uncomfortable, the pressure helps relieve the pressure they are feeling.
    Anonymous

• the zantac does not really do anything it just makes her tummy produce less acid but the action of the refluxing does not get effected at all-- it still rides up her esophagus-- try these 2 things-- after she nurses if you are holding her put her high up on your shoulder (face over your shoulder ) and walk for about 30 minutes OR use your infant car seat in the house strap her in after she eats and put it in the upright most position where the handle bar becomes the floor stabilizer (this works with Graco and Evenflo seats I can not attest to others)
    yes when she starts using her 'abs' and sitting up the reflux will usually resolve itself shortly after wards, and then there are some of us who just always reflux :(
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 8:02 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• all the zantac is going to do is help control the amount of acid, it is not meant to stop the spitting up and vomiting. Make sure you keep her upright for 30 minuties after a feeding. You can also give her probiotics which helps wonders with reflux. You can get these at a health food store or online aat vitacost.com
    Anonymous

• My son is 9 months old now and when he was 3 weeks they put him on zantac for acid reflux and it did not help any with him ...They sent him to a gastrointerologist and he swore it was acid reflux and put him in pepcid which of course did nt work either and he cntinued to spit up sooo much it was so bad it was with every meal .. I decided on my own to change his formula to soy based formula ( i use Similac Isomil Advanced..) Ever since then he has not had any trouble with it just the occasional spit up every now and then.. It took about a week to see a change but it has worked aso i stopped the zantac and the pepcid...Gooood Luck ..
    AshersMommy09

Answer by AshersMommy09 at 8:20 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• Thanks everyone. I know the zantac does nothing but ease the uncomfort of reflux. It is just weird that it seemed to work and now it is like she was before she was on anything. I do the keeping her upright and everything, nothing seems to be working, I feel so bad because she is so miserable.

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 8:28 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• chiropractic care really helped my little girl w/ her reflux. made a huge difference. then a friend who had babies with reflux suggested to me that I try to figure what food was contributing to the problem. For her son it was dairy & wheat. I did Nutrition Response Testing(many chiropractors do this or know someone who does it). If you don't want to do that then u can just experiment w./ your diet(try dairy first). I eliminated those foods from my diet and her reflux went completly away!!!!
    Anonymous

• Wow sounds like my DS story when he was that age we also used Zantac(after trying a few other meds that didn't really work) the things that DID work for us atleast was either holding in a "football hold" for a bit(puts presser on the tummy),rowing the legs(to release some gas),my DS actually slept in his carseat at night because his Reflux was so bad, baby wearing(either by a sling or a Baby Bjorn whatever is more comfortable for you ANYTHING to keep him upright. And I second what MELRN said too that worked well too. Stay well and hopefully the end it in site for you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:44 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• my son was a couple weeks old and he was throwing up and i switched him to soy base milk it worked soooo good know he is 2 and has regular milk try it see what happens it worked get he was gassy all the time throwing up crying and that seemed to work
    Anonymous