does being on bedrest REALLY help?

my first son was born 34 weeks and had to be in the nicu for a week...ive been seeing a specialist and an obgyn and the specialist said that my cervix was very long which is fabulous but when i bare down it shortens which means theres a huge chance of preterm labor. my obgyns opinion to all of this was keep my feet up at all cost, no shopping, no carrying the toddler, no dishes as much as possible! Does it really help to sit on my butt doing NOTHiNG?? Can being lazy be bad in any way? Just your opinions...obviously the doctors know what they're saying. (im going on almost 32 weeks)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:00 PM on Jan. 1, 2010 in Pregnancy

• yes it does!!! my 1st was 6 weeks early...,my 2nd was 4 weeks early and my frined was on it for 2 months and had to be started! the longer the baby is in there the better! just the 2 weeks diffrence made a diffrence my 1st had lung problems 2nd dont!!!
    Lacrisha

Answer by Lacrisha at 8:02 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• no it does not- there is 0 science behind it and I've cared for many 24 weekers whos mothers were on bed rest the whole pregnancy

Read the book (even if you are not into natural child birth the other info is compelling) By Robert A Bradley, "Husband Coached Childbirth"
    you can finish the book in a day or 2 it is easy reading and astounding accurate information
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 8:09 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• I started preterm labor at 27 weeks with my DS. They gave me meds to stop the contractions and told me to take it "easy". I went back three more times in two weeks for preterm labor. They finally put me on full bedrest. I was allowed up to go to the bathroom and take a five min shower-other than that I was laying down. Once I did that the contractions stopped and I was able to stay pregnant until 37 weeks-which was great and he was perfect. While I was on bedrest my mom and MIL took turns taking care of my daughter and DH would make sure I had everything I needed within reach before he went to work each day. It was horribly boring, but it was worth it to have a healthy baby.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 8:12 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• op here...I just feel SOOO unbeliveably guilty for doing nothing and having everyone "hand and foot" for me and not to mention not being able to play with my son!
    Anonymous

• Why feel guilty? You would feel more guilty if baby came way too soon and suffered for it. I had bedrest and I don't feel the least bit bad about it. I'm lucky he wasn't any earlier than he already was!
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 9:29 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• I'm not much help on the bedrest question, but as for playing with your son, you still can! Does he play candyland, chutes and ladders? Lego's? Have him bring games to you that you can sit and play. Read him a story... you just can't get active. He's big enough to bring you a game to play.
    jenwmuot

Answer by jenwmuot at 10:16 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• If all they are asking you to do is keep your feet up then no, that wont help at all. There is no difference in pressure on your cervix between standing and sitting, the uterus is still pushing down on it. If she put you on BEDREST then yes, it could help. But more importantly, it cant hurt so why wouldnt you be willing to do it?

I have never heard of a cervix shortening with baring down.
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 11:57 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• There is no actuall proof that it prevents anything, there is proof that being totally inactive has a lot of negative effects on your body.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:39 AM on Jan. 2, 2010