why hasn't my son hit his growth spurt? He is 4 ft 6 in. at 11 years old and I am concerned. Does anyone have any words of wisdom?

My husband is 5 ft 11 inches and I am 5 ft. 5 inches and my son is healthy and active and no problems that I am aware of outside of acid reflux and some headaches. Why would his growth potentially be stunted?

Thank you.

momalicious132

Asked by momalicious132 at 8:16 PM on Jan. 1, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I wouldn't worry just yet. My 12 yr old DS is one of the shortest in his class and we too are just waiting on that growth spurt. We know it'll come, but sometime it just takes time. It could be in the next weeks they hit it or next month or next year... this age is weird. As long as his doc isn't concerned, just let it be. Explain to him, if he's worried about his own height, that people grow at different rates and he too will grow in his own time.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 8:22 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• Word of wisdom: WAIT.
    Anonymous

• oh hun just wait until he turns 13.. he may just end up being shorter than others.. as long as hes healthy.. 13 he will grow the most
    Armywifelovely

Answer by Armywifelovely at 8:26 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• He's got lots ot time yet to grow. My son is 11 too and he's not a whole lot taller than that, maybe 4'9" and my hubby's 6'1" and I'm 5'6". If he hits 13 or 14 and still hasn't grown then I'd start to worry, but for now I wouldn't say that his growth is stunted. He may just be maturing a little later.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 8:49 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• Just wait! He is fine. Children grow at their own rates. My son is 13 yrs old, 5 ft tall and 115 pounds. He is still short but in the last year he gained about 40 pounds and 8 inches. He isn't done either. His doctor expects him to be about 6 feet tall when all is said and done.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:17 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• Your son may be small now but as long as he is following a growth curve and not dropping off don't worry. My son had growth hormone deficiency and you would have known by now if he was anything other than normal. With my son we knew at age 3 there was something wrong.
    meandmyshadow

Answer by meandmyshadow at 10:56 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• leave that child alone. My son is 15 and he's 6 feet tall, and he hate how tall he is and kids teases him. Leave it be, if it was meant to be, how can you change it? Some kids are short, while some are tall.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 11:30 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• I wouldn't worry. My 9 1/2yo daughter is only 4' tall and 45lbs. She's been the smallest kid in her class since she started kindergarten. Of course, she is never going to be tall. Her doctor estimates she won't be taller then 5'3 based on how she's been growing and how tall me and my husband (and our immediate family) are.
    My son is the opposite. He's 8 and 4'5"s. He keeps growing so fast he outgrows his clothes in months. Just a few months ago I bought him a bunch of size 10 jeans and they were so long he had to roll them up. Now they fit perfectly. He's grown at least an inch in the last 4 months. I can't keep up with him. I'm afraid to think of what he will be like if he hits a sudden growth spurt or what he will be like as a teen.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:02 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• My brother and my son were both around 16 before they hit their growth spurts. My son went from 5'8" to 6'2" in about 3 months. Boys usually don't have growth spurts until they hit puberty which is usually when they are in their mid-teens.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 8:40 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• my brother didnt hit his spurt until he was 18 and then grew almost 2 feet in less than a year!! dont panic!
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 5:31 PM on Jan. 3, 2010