Why are JW's called a Cult?

What makes them a cult?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:21 PM on Jan. 1, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't think they are. Of course, by strict definition, any religion could be seen as a cult.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 8:41 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• JWs are called a Cult because people are highly uneducated about them as a religion and as believers in general. People tend to label non-mainstream religions as cults because they fear what they don't understand and want to cover that fact by making others believe that those paths are wrong. If they feel it's wrong they can't be wrong by not educating themselves... But to admit that they themselves are uneducated and hateful would be to much to ask...

As Phoenix has already pointed out, ANY religion COULD be labeled a cult and most at one point or another have been a cult... ALL of the worlds main stream religions and every non-mainstream religions I can think of started as a small sect or cultural belief outside the generally accepted way of belief of those on the outside...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:09 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• All organized religions are cults.
    Anonymous

• JW's deny the eternal life a believer has with Jesus Christ.
    ----------------

we believe in eternal life on earth, not in heaven unless you're anointed.

Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.”—Matt. 5:5

11 But the meek ones themselves will possess the earth,
    And they will indeed find their exquisite delight in the abundance of peace. psalm 37:11

18 For this is what Jehovah has said, the Creator of the heavens, He the [true] God, the Former of the earth and the Maker of it, He the One who firmly established it, who did not create it simply for nothing, who formed it even to be inhabited: “I am Jehovah, and there is no one else Isaiah 45:18
    Anonymous

• not all organized religions are cults, just ones that idealize a living or once-living person. that's the thing that makes the difference. jesus was real so christians, too, are a cult. but some christians say that yes jesus was real, but he was a god himself (being the son of god) therefore he wasn't "human" so they are not a cult.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 9:51 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• This earth will be completely destroyed. The meek will live and reign with Him on the new earth for a thousand years, during the millenium. Revelation tells us concerning the body of Christ, "And they shall live and reign with him a thousand years on the earth"(Revelation 20:4,6).

After this we will go to heaven and spend eternity with the Lord.

I think the biggest difference between JW's and mainstream Christians is that JW's do not believe Jesus is God, but Michael the archangel, they don't believe in hell but that judgment means you just cease to exist, they don't believe in the Trinity, they believe that Jesus has been invisibly ruling the earth since 1914, that only 144,000 people will go to what we think of as heaven, and they believe that the Watchtower organization is the only channel of spiritual truth.

cont.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 10:01 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• It can be hard to talk to them about the differences in our beliefs because they have a different Bible (the New World Translation) and they don't believe in any of the other translations. So most of the verses that we would use to support a mainstream Christian perspective are different in their Bibles.

If you want more information about them or any religious movement you can go to CARM (Christian Apologetics Research Ministry) at www.carm.org

Jehovah's Witnesses

Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 10:04 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    People use different translations, some use KJV, some american standard , youngs literal, we use new world translation, nothing wrong with that. its the same bible, we also use other translations, i use the KJV, one of my friends uses american standard. If you want to learn what Jehovahs witness believe, then you can go right to the website. If i want to learn about baptist, i would want the correct information about them so i would go to their site.

www.watchtower.org
    Anonymous

• by definition, every religion is a cult. But people that call JW's a cult, namely do so out of disrespect toward the religion. This could be because of a lot of things.. they don't like people coming to their home to discuss religion, or they don't agree with their beliefs.

As for myself, I'd never call them a cult in anyway disrespectful. Although I don't really believe what they believe, and am not a fan of a lot of their beliefs, it is their beliefs and I respect that they have the right to follow them. They aren't harming anyone by following their beliefs, just as I'm not in following mine. They don't bother me when they come to my door, because my grandmother was a JW before she passed away, and they know and respect that I don't share her beliefs. So when they are going door to door, and are on my street, they stop by yes, but we talk of things other than religion. They are people and that's what important.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:38 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• They are called a cult because they have some of the characteristics that go along with cult worship. They read the bible alittle differently and have extra biblical sources for their faith.
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 10:57 PM on Jan. 1, 2010