Spanking

If you spank your kids is it controlled or is it done in a fast pace out of anger? The bad press lately on spanking seems to paint the picture that all spanking is done out of anger.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:42 PM on Jan. 1, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I don't believe in spanking. I feel that it's a type of abuse.
    Anonymous

• I do Not believe in spanking. Imho there is never a reason to strike a child. It only teaches them being a bully is acceptable

Answer by admckenzie at 8:56 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• Usually it is controlled but a few times I have done it in anger(not proud of it but I learned from those mistakes). I let them know why they are getting/have just been spanked(or put in time out) and I let them know I love them and we hug and kiss after their punishment(no matter if they got a time out or a spanking). I also only spank as a last resort or for something dangerous.
    ICPclwnLOV

Answer by ICPclwnLOV at 9:20 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• generally spanking is reserved for a pretty severe infraction.... that said, if I am angry, they wait in their room until I am calm. I REFUSE to spank out of anger. it is explained why they are being spanked, and that when they do (insert bad behavior here- usually something dangerous), that is the same as asking "mommy, I want a spanking". when it is over they get their hugs, and told they are loved, and asked not to do it again so they will not have to be spanked.
    I believe in the rule of three 1st gets their attention, 2nd is discipline, 3rd reinforcement- anything beyond that is abuse.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:13 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• There is a difference between Spanking's and abuse. As they say.. Spare the rod, Spoil the Child. But with in reasoning.. not just for every little thing..because myself I don't think that just " talking to them" is gonna work.. your dealing with a little child.. not an adult who can fully comprehend what your saying and know's better.. but that's just my opinion.... *shrugs* Make sure you talk to them though.. so they know what they did wrong.. or else the whole spanking thing goes out the window and they are left wondering why they got it...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:03 AM on Jan. 6, 2010