At what age is a toddler bed acceptable?

My daughter is going to be One in a week. She is breastfed and has always slept in the pack n play next to our bed because she still gets up once a night to nurse. She rolls a little bit in her sleep. So we have recently done her room and are painting it too. Anyways, hubby wants to get her a toddler bed to put in it(with the safety rails on the side, of course) but I want to get her a convertible crib because obviously it would save money in the long-run. But those can get pricey. My friend's son was in a toddler bed as soon as he turned one, right before actually. So what age is too young for a toddler bed?

threeeunder3

Asked by threeeunder3 at 9:05 PM on Jan. 1, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I had a convertable crib for my daughter...they are not that expensive..walmart has great cribs...if you put them together correctly..the one that was bought for me was only 150 and it was a 4in1from walmart. by the time she was 10 months she learned to climb out of the crib so I changed it to a toddler bed. When she was 14 months she started sleeping in a full size bed and she has been doing fine in that ever since(she is 21 months old now)...so I think its just about personal preference....if you plan to have more you can invest in the convertible crib...if not I would just use the twin size bed
    mylady13135

Answer by mylady13135 at 11:41 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• my daughter went into a toddler bed at 13 1/2 months because her convertible crib was recalled four months before that and i wasnt aware. we bought an additionl rail to put on the bottom section of the bed so when she rolls she cant roll out so it secure like a crib. i personally like the bed better...i like the convertible crib but was way to mad when i found out the crib was recalled and the company never said anything about it
    rellcinko

Answer by rellcinko at 9:49 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• If you want to save money in the long run, go straight to a twin bed. You could get a crib if you plan to have more children, then to a twin, but either way, skip the toddler bed. If you're worried a twin is too high off the floor, start out with just a mattress - only a few inches to go if she gets to the edge. As she gets older get the frame, the boxspring, etc. But a convertible crib is a waste of money IMO, and a toddler bed isn't any bigger than a crib - so most kids grow out if it by the time they're 3-4 years old - but a twin can/will last her til she's an adult if it needs to - you'd only have to buy one bed now and be good for years.
    Anonymous

• That's actually funny because there is a twin bed in there (for guests) right now. I would have to get railings for it though.
    threeeunder3

Answer by threeeunder3 at 11:09 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• just take it off the frame and put it on the floor for now... this is what i have done with my kids...then you don't need the rails.
    phantomphan

Answer by phantomphan at 1:21 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• the matress i mean! think it is time for ME to go to bed!! lol
    phantomphan