What receipts (if any) do you keep?

My New Year's Resolution involves calming a "paper tiger" of receipts, bills, etc. How do you decide what to keep and what to toss? Walmart, medical, utilities, etc.

doodlebopfan

Asked by doodlebopfan at 9:13 PM on Jan. 1, 2010 in Money & Work

• WELL I KEEP A LIL BOX SEPERATED WITH THE BILLS, PAYSTUBS, AND MOST RECENT PURCHUSES IN CASE IMA NEED TO TAKE BACK TO THE STORE. THAT WAY U R ORGANIZED N DON'T NEED A TON OF LIL PAPER. I START TO DO THAT IN THE BEGININ OF THE MONTH THAT WAY IM NOT PULLIN MY HAIR OUT LATER N DECIDING WHAT'S WHAT N EMLIMATE THINGS I CAN KEEP TRACK IN A NOTE BOOK. ALSO LIKE I KEEP A CALENDER OF DATES I PAY BILLS, MAIL LETTERS, OR MONEY ITEMS I NEED TO START SAVIN FOR
    Lele1987

Answer by Lele1987 at 9:30 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• I keep anything that is tax deductible in a special envelope.
    Receipts, warranties and instruction manuals get their own envelope and plastic box.
    Bills, bank statements and other receipts into another plastic box labeled with the year. At the end of the year it goes in storage and we toss after 10 years.
    Daily grocery/restaurant/gas...that kind of stuff gets tossed unless it can be deducted.

I am a banker by trade so I am big on paper trails. It isn't so bad when you keep it contained and out of site!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:00 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• I keep the obvious ones~ rent or mortgage, utilities, pay stubs, car maintenance bills. As for things like walmart receipts, it depends on what was purchased. If it's a big ticket item, yes, if not, no.
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 11:04 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• I only keep car maintenance receipts. The rest get trashed after the 30 days I've had an item. I dont keep any utility receipts or other bills because I pay for everything online, so it eliminates the need. And I do a large majority of my shopping online. Paypal is a god. =)
    Itsonono

Answer by Itsonono at 4:37 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Hubby was military-ALL OF THEM. There is a place on your tax return where you can put in all the taxes you paid on your purchases.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 11:02 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• We keep anything we're going to need for taxes, so all business related expenses and all receipts for prescriptions. I don't keep medical bills because I have the payment proof of the check imaging on my bank statements. I also save receipts for anything that I might return, and receipts for expensive items like electronics, where there might be a warranty involved.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:22 AM on Jan. 2, 2010