Do you teach your child to hit back?

My dghter will be 20 months and today at Chuck E Cheese another boy around 2 "tried" to hit my daughter. My mom prevented it and she told the boy no don't do that. But what if he would have gotten the chance to hit her? I would have died! My first baby yes lol. How do you handle those situations? My dghter did nothing wrong to this boy! and FYI his parents were no where to be found!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:55 PM on Jan. 1, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Kids hit. It is natural. The problem comes in when we try to get the parents involved. You go to the mom and tell her that her little boy was trying to hit your daughter (respectfully and without casting blame of course). Instead of that mom telling her son not to hit, she blames you, your daughter, your religious leader, the dog catcher, your mechanic - anyone she can think of instead of being grateful you are giving her the chance to be a parent. Until we can accept our precious darlings will do things like hitting, we will never get a handle on this discipline thing. My sons hit. I punished them. When I was told someone had to intervene, I thanked them for letting me know and I punished them (if it was needed).
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:15 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• I'm not sure the "proper" way to handle the situation, but I have told my daughter to say "Don't hit me!" to whoever is being a brat to her. At first she got pushed around, but now at 3 she is pretty assertive!
    HaileyCass

Answer by HaileyCass at 9:58 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• well i wouldn't ask a 20 month old to hit back a baby or a 2 year old toddler. But my kids are 5 and 3 1/2, maybe the only reason why i wouldn't tell my kids to hit back because i don't want to get in trouble with there dumb parents or a police. But if my kids where older i let them kick anyone's behind. I wont raise my kids to be Pu$$y's. They need to be tough females who wont ever ever let anyone walk all over them. I always let people walk over me in the past and now i voice my opinion and i tell people off in public and i dont care. I wont let my family or strangers do what they want with me. And i wont have that either for my children. My husband was brought up in a bad area and i was brought up in a all white area. He is street smart and thats what i want for my kids.
    Anonymous

• I have taught my kids that if someone hits them, they are to try to walk away, find a teacher or other adult, whatever. But if the other person won't let them walk away or follows them to keep hitting them, then they need to hit back. I don't encourage them to hit, but I do encourage them to not sit there and take it if someone is doing it to them.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 10:02 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• yeah anon well I never stated that I wanted her to hit him back today. I asked how you handle the situation in general.
    Anonymous

• Dont be rude with me because i wasnt with you. Im having a good night so i dont feel like having others ruin it for me. I was stating what i feel and i answered you. I never been in that position sorry.
    Anonymous

• My daughter is tough.. she is a tiny 26 pound 2.5 year old.. but her daddy taught her the military way... u get hit..u hit back harder... grandma tells her to hit bakc only if someone hits her.. she is very nice and polite until she is messed with. I don't teach it but that is my husbands role..so it's his decision.
    mommie611

Answer by mommie611 at 12:04 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• i teach my kids if some one hits u , u hit them back and harder . there is nothing wrong with it to me.
    aprilsalcro

Answer by aprilsalcro at 2:08 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I do not teach my kids to hit back. That can start a never ending cycle of he hit me so I hit him, so he hits me etc. I teach them to say in a loud clear voice "Don't hit me!"
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:31 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I teach my kids tell them to stop one time then they are allowed to hit back!
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 6:53 AM on Jan. 4, 2010