The Threat in Yemen, Tomorrow's War?

Senator Joe Lieberman stated earlier this week that the Green Berets and the US Special Forces are already there in Yemen. The Us seems to be spreadly wildly into other countries in Middle East because of threats of al-Qaeda and the attacks on our soil and people. Do you think the latest attempted attack was a trick to pull the US further in, taking our attention abroad and leaving us more at risk for further attacks on our Soil? What a dilemma the US faces.

WhoCares224

Asked by WhoCares224 at 10:02 PM on Jan. 1, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/politics/nation/Yemen-will-be-tomorrows-war-says-US-senator/articleshow/5389945.cms
    WhoCares224

Answer by WhoCares224 at 10:05 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• You know what.....this really isnt winnable. These people have been fighting for TOO long. And while I saw the benefit of tasking down Saddam because IF he didnt have WMDs he was gonna get em soon and he had proven himself ruthless in killing and maiming other people! But Now Its just crazy! We ar ALL OVER the MAP over there and we CANT FIX THEM. Those people have have been killing each other since the beginning of tme! Its not gonna change! I DO like that the war seems to have stayed primarily over there and has only spilled over here in very limited quantities, I just dont know at this point WHAT the right answer is. BUT I DO know that spreading ourselves out all over there ISNT it!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 10:17 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• I would like to take this opportunity to point out that I was not real happy with the way things wer going at the end of Bushs term here either. I think HE did what HE thought best. I do not think he was an evil oil man bent on getting our soldiers killed.

momof030404

• Im afraid I agree with you Momof, this isn't winnable. And my fear is that once we get our boots on the ground in Yemen like Iraq and afghan, it will be next to impossible leaving there for the same reason as saving face with Iraq and afghan. Its one big mess, with a unknown answer for this country.

I Wasn't a Bush fan, I don't know his reasoning for the Iraq War, I do however think his prioritys were wrong, when he should have been focused on al-qaeda and not Iraq. I don't think his intentions were getting soldiers killed though.

I agree we can't fix them, and they will never change, as you said it has been going on over there for way to LONG.
    WhoCares224

Answer by WhoCares224 at 10:36 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• I agree, not winnable. No clear plan, all over the map, fighting an ideology, a way of life coupled with anger at US foreign policy, in THEIR country (ies). Who is at the disadvantage?

In terms of Yemen, it is a known AQ training ground and a very poor country. Not much to lose, I'd say- Guess who's sitting back watching the entire thing unravel? Yep, the Chinese-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 10:44 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• The Us seems to be spreadly wildly into other countries in Middle East because of threats of al-Qaeda and the attacks on our soil and people. Do you think the latest attempted attack was a trick to pull the US further in, taking our attention abroad and leaving us more at risk for further attacks on our Soil?

What many of us have been saying from the beginning....We are leaving ourselves wide open as well as BANKRUPTING ourselves trying to rebuild over there and chase terrorists that have no home, they will operate where ever!

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:03 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• Sweet- I do not understand the country hopping and the revolving door reasoning, It's UBL, the Taliban, SH and WMD, AQ, Pakistan, India, NW. Now add Nigeria and Yemen to the mix. IMO, it's throwing garbage up against the wall and hoping something sticks and that the American public stays fearful enough to support the very expensive, foreign financed game. No one wants to admit that with the fire -ready- aim approach we have zero chance of improving the overall situation in that region. Wish SOMEONE could explain the goal and a loose exit plan-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:19 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• I have to admit that I don't think that I understand what we are doing anymore. I thought at one time that I did, but it seems like with each country that has an issue with us, there we are with soldiers. I am not anti-war, but at the same time, I have to wonder if we know what the heck we are doing. I mean, we started in Afghanistan, then went to Iraq. Now we are back in Afghanistan, and talking about Pakistan, watching Iran and NK and now there is talk of Yemen. (I'm sure there are others, but I'm getting tired.) I totally understand about defeating al-Qaeda. But I'm not sure that our leaders really know how to do that. And then, too, we can't have certain countries getting nuclear weapons, so we have to be ready to go there. But we are getting to be spread out way too thin, to the point that if something big happens, we will be in some deep doo-doo with no-one to help us.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 1:28 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I can understand why there are those who feel that we need to have a presence there. But MPO - and it has always been this way - was that we landed in Iraq, and that was not where we should have been. We have wasted time, money, and most importantly lives in a war that did not help us in the War on Terror.

I think we need to sort ourselves out with Iraq and Afghanistan before we go putting boots anywhere else. Those two fronts are breaking us. I do not think this is winnable. I have friends in Iraq, and they do not believe that we are doing anything to solve the problem there - the war there between the people who live there is long and will not be solved by us.

I hope like hell we leave Yemen alone. I agree that we are being drawn out. It is not the best thing for us. Keep the soldiers and resources here, protect us here.
    LiliM

Answer by LiliM at 1:31 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• was that we landed in Iraq, and that was not where we should have been

If you did some research on the oil for food UN scandal, you would more than understand why we went into Iraq.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 4:18 AM on Jan. 2, 2010