Abscess

I have an abscess that has worked it's way through the surface of my skin. It has drained and I keep it dressed and clean. It's really small (about the size of a pencil eraser) but is taking a long time to heal. My question is do I need antibiotics to make it heal or will it heal on it's own? I can't afford a doctor. I am a single mom who works three jobs and I have no family support.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:11 PM on Jan. 1, 2010 in Health

• Triple antibiotic ointment is a good choice now that it has broken the surface. Neosporin or an off brand like it.

Wash it well in the shower. Peroxide will slow the healing process. You can use rubbing alcohol to clean it if you are worried about infection.

Some things heal slowly.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:16 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• It should heal on its own unless there is some underlying problem keeping it from healing. If it doesn't heal soon go to the ER. They will bill you or even help you sign up for medically needy insurance. If that isn't an option they have a fund to draw from for people who can't pay. It's covered under the Hill-Burton Act. They have to take a portion of their profits to pay for those who can't afford to pay.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:14 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• wow...I've been using peroxide! yikes! maybe that is what is slowing it up! This is great info guys...I was really worried!
    Anonymous