my 6 year old son wounts a pet.

my 6 year old son wounts a pet.
whats a good pet to get him?
how much of the respoibbitly should he do?
what makes me now he is redy for a pet?

kd5

Asked by kd5 at 10:24 PM on Jan. 1, 2010 in Pets

• awww mama! I think you should get him a small dog.. Mybrother got his first dog when he was 3! he was a daschaund he was the best dog EVER! i swear. he passed away not that long ago. He lived for 17! years! he was the sweetest. i think you should get one.. let me knoww! what u decide
    Armywifelovely

Answer by Armywifelovely at 10:27 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• Dogs never go to the bathroom without someone taking them out. Do you have a fenced yard? Are you willing to walk the dog?

There are some great dogs out there for kids. Beagles, retriever mixes, boarder collies, and Australian shepherds are some of the famous ones for being good with kids. The pound is a great place to get a good dog who needs a home. A lot of dogs will be dropped off this week bc they were not wanted for Christmas.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:31 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• This is a good time to ask him what kind of pet does he want than go get books on the pets he wants to see if it is right for you.
    A dog is always good for a boy, not too small (it will be like a baby) and not to large (you will keep him outside all the time)
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:34 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• That's fine. We have two dogs, but remember YOU will be doing all the work. I paid $200 in Dec to have my puppy neutered(so he would stop getting boners)then both dogs caught kennel cough even though I paid $125 to have them vaccinated, so that costed me another $200. Make sure you spay and neuter a dog in heat is nasty, and your kids may let her out when you aren't looking! Male dogs, like to hump and sport wood, so nueter it. I love my puppies, but it is a lot of work.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 10:37 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• Something small and easy to clean up after. Hamsters and Guinea pigs are perfect, to clean out there cage you just take out there wheel dump out the bedding and wash it. Then you can move up to something like a bunny then up to a dog. Keep in mind you will be in charge of taking care of the animal so pick something you can handle.
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 10:37 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• Oh yeah, research your breed! I own a beagle, and they are very high strung, like to run away and can clear a fence in no time! But she's beautiful and very loving towards me, a little nervous towards the kids. Mpy other puppy is a jack russel corgi mix. He is the kids dog for sure! Way easier. I think labs are wonderful for kids and very obedient. Not a lot of health problems, and safe for kids! Or just a fish!lol
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 10:39 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• i would deff do what was done with me.. get him a fish first tell him that if he takes good care of it feeds it when it needs to be fed and changes the water when it needs to be then he will get his choice of pet next
    good luck <3
    Magouirkmandi

Answer by Magouirkmandi at 3:28 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• How much pet are you willing to take one? Dog, cat, small animal, fish? What kind of pet is he asking for?
    I would get something that you also want, because at six you will be doing most of the work involved. I think it's great to get kids involved with the care of the pet- my kids like to feed our guinea pigs their hay in the morning, or refill the water bottle, or hold and play with them. However they aren't responsible or consistant enough to do all the care involved... to leave your fate in the hands of a young child really isn't fair for the pet. But it works because I like them too and don't mind doing most of the work for them. Based on that I would make sure you're not taking on anything that you don't want to do, because at six your child is going to be more of a helper than the owner, kwim?
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 6:21 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Ooops- 'take on' not 'take one.' Sorry!
    Freela

• Get a rat. They're friendly, intelligent, clean, they bond to their owners, and can even learn to use a litter box.
    Nzumbe

Answer by Nzumbe at 12:21 AM on Jan. 3, 2010