Iron

Can being pregnant cause an iron deficiency?if not taking any iron pills

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:44 PM on Jan. 1, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Pregnancy is a contraindication with everything. Your doctor or midwife should test you regularly for anemia. You have to make a lot of extra blood during pregnancy and that can deplete some women.

You don't have to take iron pills to keep your iron levels up. Iron is in leafy greens like spinach and kale, eggs, dairy, meats, and nuts. Cooking in a cast iron skillet can bring your iron levels up too.

Since pregnancy and constipation go hand in hand, if you can get your iron from leafy greens rather than pills, your bottom will thank you. Iron can make your stool very hard.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:48 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• It is always a possibility since the baby is taking nutrients from your body and taking supplements ensure your health. You can also get iron from certain foods, red meat, and leafy greens are great sources. You can have your iron levels checked. I cannot take iron supplements due to a health condition so I make sure to eat enough iron fortified foods so that I do not become anemic. Good luck it is a tight line to walk but is doable.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 10:48 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• It caused it with me. And it didnt help that i was anemic before i got pregnant and had to take iron pills. Get some vitamins with iron at walmart. Thats what i had to do. I got the flinstones chewables with iron. I couldnt swallow the pills they gave me so that was the only other choice the gave me.
    Anonymous

• I do have to take iron pills because I'm anemic on a regular basis and being pregnant makes it much worse. So I take iron pills 3x a day. But the answer to your question is yes.
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 12:59 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Here is a great listing of iron sources: www.soystache.com/iron Be sure to eat a vitamin C source with your iron source; the C increases the aborption of the iron.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:16 AM on Jan. 2, 2010