Still think its okay to leave the kids in the car "to run in quickly"?

This is why it is NEVER okay to leave your kids in the car while you run in anywhere. Yeah, she did it REALLY badly, but it can happen in a split second.

Car stolen with kids inside

TROY - Troy Police are looking for a man who, they say, stole a car with two children inside.
Tara Goss says she blames herself for a close call on New Year's Day. Shortly after 7 a.m. she left her truck running outside a grocery store with her ten and two-year-old kids in the backseat.
Troy Police say the car was found 45 minutes later at the Eddy Lane apartments where it appears the suspect crashed into a guard rail. The children were inside and unharmed.
Goss could face charges of endangering the welfare of a child.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:08 PM on Jan. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• omg. You just CANT. I will drive to a different gas station if they dont have the pay at the pump swiper thing! That story is one of my biggest fears. ANd thank God the babies were unhurt! What if it had been a pedophile! And if they are near and interstate exit they can be in another STATE in less than an hr sometimes!! I never ever ever....its just one of those things that CAN be prevented!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 11:15 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• I have never done this and I'm always amazed at those that do.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:20 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• HELL NO IM NOT STUPIED LIKE THOSE DUM ASS'S ARE ! ! !
    Anonymous

• Yep...there's always moms who have excuses...until this happens to THEIR kids and they cry "Oh poor me!". There is NO EXCUSE FOR THIS!

Glad the wee ones were ok but this lady needs a good kick in the head.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 11:27 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• No, it's never okay to leave your kids in the car, even for a second at those ages especially. Now, I have a 12 and 11 year old who are both about 5'7" and are as big as I am, and I still don't leave them in the car anywhere other than if I have to run into our youth center here on the base, and that's just a few steps in the door and its on base. I would NEVER leave them in the car anywhere else, and NEVER my DD who is 5. I know it sounds hypocritical to say don't leave your kids in the car and then say Oh but I do it at this time or this place, but in this instance its not because at those ages they are legally allowed to be home for more than 1 hour alone, and they are legally allowed to walk where ever they want on base alone, so it's not such a big deal with them. But like I said I still don't ever do it even to go into the shopette because I can't see them then lol.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:28 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I have always parked my car right next to the cart corrals in parking lots to make sure my little ones are never left alone for more than a split second, and even then these days you never know... I had someone try to get my youngest out of the car when I was on the other side loading the groceries... Now I don't even leave that much room between us... they stay in the cart.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:32 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Just a story of a LAZY mother!! I have never and will NEVER leave my children in the car for a split second!! Even when I Have to put a cart up, I just put it in front of my car! I dont care, I will never leave my son alone in the car!
    DarthPink

Answer by DarthPink at 1:25 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Even if there were never child endangerment cases such as this, I would never leave my child alone in a car. Not only for this reason, and for the reason of the child being intentionally kidnapped, but also because of temprature. The temprature in the car rises and lowers faster inside the car then you notice it outside. Even with the windows cracked in the summer, the inside of a car can overheat to two times the ouside temprature even after only five minutes. Not cool.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:00 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Heck even when I am pumping gas, if I have my daughter in the car I lock all the doors so no one but me can get back into the car. The only time i dont do that is if someone is with me.
    Allie_kat1

Answer by Allie_kat1 at 2:54 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I can honestly say after reading alot of the post on here I stopped doing it. I dont need any bashing but I used to do it all the time. Not to run in the grocery store but to run in the store to get something or to pay for gas. Being a single mom I think I was just really overwhelmed with the many task I had and how hard it was to do simple things like go buy a sprite.

I wasnt blind to crime or anything Im just one of those "it cant happen to me" kind of people and I dont know why because I grew up in Washington DC and live in Atlanta, GA. Two cities with many people.

But I do thank you ladies because I no longer do it. She will just be cold and wet but she has to get out the car.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:10 AM on Jan. 2, 2010