Do you think Child Led Parenting is lazy?

Or is it a better way of parenting?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:26 PM on Jan. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• I raised 4 sons to adulthood using child led parenting. It's not child gone wild parenting. It's not pushing your children to learn, not expecting them to blindly follow your path, etc.. My children had choices from the time they could answer yes and no questions...what to wear, what to eat, what book to be read, where to nap, when to nap, when to go to bed, etc.. They weren't always tired at x time, just like I am not always tired at x time. I go to bed when I am tired and so did they from the time they were old enough to set their own schedule. I raised very independent, free thinking, strong men so I guess I did something right.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:17 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Im doing child-led for most things and can assure you I am all BUT lazy. But I like knowing Im not pushing my daughter into something when she doesnt feel ready for it.
    Kelleysunshine

Answer by Kelleysunshine at 11:28 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• op here. I am asking because I am pregnant and researching it and very interested. I've had some discussions with people who think it is an extremely lazy way to parent. Not that I agree or disagree, yet. Still trying to decide...
    Anonymous

• Wow...she is going to be screwed when she hits the real world. Children need to learn boundaries and not lead the parenting. This is what is wrong with society. Good gracious.

Anonymous

• No, it's far from "lazy", and anyone who thinks it is doesn't know a thing about it. It's pretty damned hard work! Whether it's a "better" way to parent or not is a matter of opinion. I obviously think it is or I wouldn't be doing it.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 11:35 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• Soooo  I KNOW I could do the research (and probably will,  never heard about this) , but could someone give me a brief idea what that means?

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 11:38 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• The child led lifestyle is definitely not lazy. It requires a lot out of the parent though. I also think that if someone says they are completely child led it is unlikely. Most parents who do this are child led on most things,but not all.
    Good luck in your research. :)
    Anonymous

• not if it's done properly, then it's more work because you are being more in tune with your child instead of doing what YOU want them to be ready for and what YOU are interested in.
    Anonymous

• Child-led parenting does not mean "no boundaries". It means no *ARBITRARY* or *ARTIFICIAL* boundaries. Big difference. And it doesn't mean the child leads the parenting. It means the child leads him or her self. The parent still assists them in making choices.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 11:42 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• I think it works for some, not for others. Worth trying, I guess. Laziness does not come to mind when I hear the term "child led parenting". Anyone - regardless of parenting technique - can be lazy.
    Anonymous