Does anyone work in a male dominated field? Have you noticed that they can be as catty as women? Do you feel alienated on the job?

I work as a sheetmetal apprentice and have to endure all kinds of sexist statements. What's more, I can't believe these men gossip more than women. I've had to step in more than a few cat (or do I say dog) fights. And OMG, I can't believe how these men dog the porty toilets. It's disgusting!

Ewadun

Asked by Ewadun at 11:33 PM on Jan. 1, 2010 in Money & Work

• Every place I've worked where men outnumber the women has way more drama. They're not just catty, they go out of their way to make it worse and instigate more drama.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:16 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Women in trades have it really rough. You certainly have the option of filing with the EEOC; we have a friend who sued the plumbers union for discrimination and won a HUGE lawsuit.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:09 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• My late husband used to do ceramic tile work. I went with him on a few jobs. No one ever said anything, but, I got the feeling they were thinking "oh, i didn't know this was "bring the wife to work day". Never really felt comfortable going to Lowe's or Home Depot, either.
    crazycatlady66

Answer by crazycatlady66 at 9:50 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I worked at a auto parts store for 2 years and omg! That was all I could take the one thing that really po'ed me was there was another girl and I at one time that worked there and it was going to be mothers day and I told her mark on the calender that you want it off before she had a chance one of the guys marked on the calender that he needed it off this guy is in this late 50's any ways the mgr told her she couldn't have it off!!! She had twins and they were only 2 yrs old she deserved to be off more than the guy did. MEN....yes way more drama
    Lindles

Answer by Lindles at 8:48 PM on Jan. 2, 2010