Best pay-as-you-go-phone plans?

My 15 year old wants a phone. I don't know anything about the pay as you go kind. She will be responsible for paying the minutes/fees, using her allowance. How do those phones work? Where do I get one? Best phone/plan? Also, can I track the calls she's making - like, how do I know who/where she's calling? She's a good kid, but she's asked if she can call her penpal. I've never met her pals parents, they live out of state. I've already told her that it's not a good idea, because we don't really know these people. Would you feel comfortable letting your teen have his/her own phone?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:39 PM on Jan. 1, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• hands down virgin mobile, they have the best rates. my 14yo has had that one verizon and tmobile, going back to virgin mobile.
    Anonymous

• I have an AT&T go phone. I'm not sure my minute/ texting allowance, but I pay about $50 a month after taxes and everything. It is automatically drafted out of my account. I never use up my money so it keeps rolling over and even told me I'm reaching the money threshold. LOL. Anyway...I would say it's a good plan. I moved my SIM card to my SIL's old blackberry and it works great.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 11:44 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• First of all, most of the Pay as you Go plans are relatively simple. The AT & T Go phone allows her to chose between a couple of different plans, same as Verizon, I guess. If you are looking for ease with no option of plans other than a go card, I would have to say Trac Phone. It's very simple because when you are out of minutes, you have no other option other than buy more minutes. No charges for anything other than what you pay for. With AT & T, you have a couple of different options but you also get charged so much per day which eats away at your cards and minutes. If you aren't looking for her to have too many options, let her get a simple, basic Trac Phone. If she wants to make a long distance call to a penpal, it will eat away her time, of course, but she can't do any harm in doing so. Besides, if it goes bad, you aren't in too much money wise with one of those, they are practically disposable, anymore.
    Anonymous

• straight talk. you buy the phone anywhere from $29-$99. they have 2 cards $30 card which is 1000 minutes and 1000 texts or the $45 card which is unlimited minutes, text and internet. both are 30 day cards. My husband and I have been looking into prepaid for a while and that is the best deal. we did the 30 minute card its about 16 hour of talk time. you can ourchase them at walmart and no contract plus you can pick month to month which card you want. good luck!
    Emma7-11-09

Answer by Emma7-11-09 at 11:48 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• p.s. straight talk uses verizon's satelittes for service
    Emma7-11-09

Answer by Emma7-11-09 at 11:49 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• Virgin mobile, I love it and you can look up your call history online. You can buy the phones on the website, radio shack, target and some walmarts. The website details the different plans they are very affordable and it is rare that i am in a spot with no service. I have used them for 5 years.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:16 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Virgin Mobile is horrible. My two sisters, my parents, and I all had one of our own. The batteries die quickly, the signal is shotty, the phones are poorly built, the minuts to price ratio is poor.. I could go on. My sisters went through phones soo fast, because the phones just don't work very well. The voicemail on my phone never worked regardless of how many times they reset it. It wouldn't always ring when I had a call coming in either. I would not, would not go with Virgin Mobile.

My dad has a Track phone and it even has great signal in the small out of nowhere town they live in. They literally live twenty minutes from anything larger then a one horse town.

You can buy any type of pay as you go phone from Walmart, Meijer, Target.. Or any of those kinds of stores.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:39 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• boost mobile is a good one, they have plans that require no credit card no contract,u just pay once a month,or she can just buy a phone card when she needs one.u can also check her calls on line but u will need her password and stuff. if u get one for her,u call and set it up for her. it is easy
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 3:26 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I have both Net 10 and Tractfone. I like them both. I started with Net 10 and gave that phone to my grandson when I got the camera phone with Tractfone. They even have an offer for double the minutes you pay for right now.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:53 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• If you have a phone, check with your provider to see how much it will cost to add her to your plan. I was able to add my son's line for free on Sprint. We share minutes and unlimited texting. I can add another line for $10 a month. Check into that and have her pay the line fee for her phone and/or part of the plan fees. You will be able to track her phone calls but there is no way to check text messages. My parents had Tracphone and got rid of it because it was costing more than buying a traditonal plan. WIth my phone plan, there is GPS on my son's phone and I can track where he is if anything happens.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:17 PM on Jan. 2, 2010