Baking and Sabbath

Is baking cookies for my friend on the sabbath a sin?

rhanford

Asked by rhanford at 11:45 PM on Jan. 1, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• It depends. Are you just trying to follow the LETTER of the law or the SPIRIT of the law? The law was made so that man could have a set day to rest. It was not made to dictate every minute of your life. Jesus talks about the different between the letter of the law and the spirit of the law.
    Peronally, I believe it is a personal choice and something private between you and your Heavenly Father.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 6:43 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• If you feel that its wrong, then it is wrong. You have to do what is right for your conscience to be at peace. It sounds like you are a non-practicing religious person. If you are questioning the values you grew up with it is a worthwhile endeavor. If you really find out where you stand you'll have a more solid moral standing on why you do what you do or don't do. So do some reading and soul searching and have fun with the journey of learning for yourself what is right and wrong.
    Anonymous

• I do not feel it is wrong but I was raised that cooking on the sabbath is not to be done. I was not aware that she was going to ask me to call and I just so much want to share this new cookie recipe I discovered.
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 12:00 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• It still sounds like you are basing what is right and wrong on what others have told you or traditions you grew up with. You need to find out the why behind this. Why are you not supposed to cook on the Sabbath and do you truly agree with this. Then it will be your moral conviction as well and not just something someone else is telling you not to do. Why don't you just give her your recipe and let your friend make the cookies herself?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:13 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• No it is not sin.... cook the cookies.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:16 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• because I would like to make a gift for her. Since I love to cook I will bring the cookies and if she likes them then give her the recipe. The reason behind no cooking on the sabbath is God told the isrealites to gather manna on the 6th day double what they would need because none would come on sabbath. Also sabbath is one of the 10 commandments. But do I personally think that cooking on the sabbath is going to send me to hell no I don't Because I am cooking out of love for my friends and family. But it doesn't matter what I thin and feel because lean not on your own understanding. Says so in the bible.
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 12:18 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Jesus says all the law is fulfilled in one law that you love your neighbor as yourself. This sounds like a loving gesture toward your neighbor. Is it work to bake cookies or fun? I'm sure this is a matter of conscience and you really know what to do here.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:23 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• If you are feeling conviction, wait until sunset to bake them. Pray and ask God if He finds it acceptable, it is His Sabbath after all.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 5:59 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• If she is Shomer Shabbos, or if you are, then it is a violation of "remember the Shabbat and keep it holy"

Answer by rkoloms at 9:07 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• have you heard of the pharisees? they were jews before christ came that would count there footsteps cause if the took too much it was breaking the sabbath... I personally don't think that baking cookies is bad. a lot of people go over board. do what feels right for you.
    Hali_Taylor

Answer by Hali_Taylor at 9:44 AM on Jan. 2, 2010