Dangerous pregnancy cravings,is it inherited?

OK i have never been a real drinker maybe a couple during special things like a wedding or holiday.Well i'm pregnant by a man that has severe to find out alcoholism in the family.I have been craving to severly drink so much i have been getting the shakes where i feel i'm having a withdrawal from not having one? is this possible last time i had a drink was 6 months ago and was two glasses of wine so this has me puzzled.I'm not diabetic so can't be from that.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:06 AM on Jan. 2, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I'm not quite clear...you think because the father of the baby is a drinker that the baby is causing you to have alcohol cravings and withdrawl??? Uhhh...if that's what you're asking I don't think that's possible. I think you have some other deficiency and you need to see your OB ASAP.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:14 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Drink alcohol or drink in general? In no way can the father being an alcoholic effect you craving it. It's probably in your head.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 12:18 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• OP HERE:Wanna claify i drank a glass of wine 6 months ago however i'm only 10 weeks along.Since i would never put alcohol in my body i hate even having a diet soda so this worries me and i want to ask you guys since i feel stupid bringing it up to my doctor.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:18 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• OP HERE,AGAIN:
    Responce to this comment:

Drink alcohol or drink in general? In no way can the father being an alcoholic effect you craving it. It's probably in your head.

Not in my head i did not know he had alcoholism was not until i was talking to him about what has been going on did he tell me so now i'm putting some things together and wondering if this is possible because of him since i was never this way prior to pregnancy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:21 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• No. There is no possible way that the dad being an alcoholic can affect that. You are pregnant and that comes with strange cravings. Ive craved cigarettes this whole pregnancy and I havent smoked in years. And even when I did it wasnt that much or for that long. I know people who have craved play dough, ice, dirt, laundry starch, chalk...etc.
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 12:51 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I think you need to ask your OB. This maybe a symptom of something that we aren't aware of. I hope you figure it out. The wierdest craving I have ever had has been ice...I even made my husband drive all the way to SONIC to get me some tonight, ya know, the crushed up kind...lol I hope you figure out whats going on. Good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:25 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• The father being an alcoholic has NOTHING to do with your craving. You do however need to tell your doctor that your having the craving, anytime you have strong cravings for things like Ice, dirt, clay and a long list of other items (mostly non food items) you could have problems with Iron, PICA, or hemoglobin and your doctor will need to run test.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:48 AM on Jan. 2, 2010