I am six wks pregnant and for some reason I can not seem to fall asleep I stay up all day and even wake up early enough so that I may fall asleep faster and I still cant. Does anyone have any advice for me please.

bear1213

Asked by bear1213 at 12:15 AM on Jan. 2, 2010 in Pregnancy

• You can try taking some Benadryl. Other than that, you just have to wait it out. I had the same problem early on in my second pregnancy, to the point where I had to stop taking naps and completely cut out caffeine and not watch TV right before bed, and I had to be in bed by 8:00 if I wanted to be asleep before midnight. It was ridiculous, especially coupled with the normal extreme fatigue I was experiencing, as well. But this, too, shall pass, I promise, usually by the end of the first trimester, sometimes a bit earlier. Consider it preparation for the sleepless nights you'll have with a newborn around.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 12:21 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I had the same problem off and on with both of my pregnancies. I would start with all the suggestions that DragonRider said and I would suggest to evaluate your diet as well. The more fresh your food is, as in fresh fruits and veggies, the calmer your body may be. Also, one thing I did when I was restless was when I went to bed was to get in a yoga pose called "Childs Pose". You are on your knees and your body from the chest up is on the bed or pillows or whatever. You can have your arms down towards your feet, tucked under your head or above your head. Basially like you are sleeping on your tummy, but only your knees are tucked up under you. Depending on what is comfortable, you can vary how far down you are sitting on your feet. You can use pillows or blankets to tuck between your butt and feet so that if your knees are less flexable it would not be as uncomfortable. This pose is specifically for relaxing the mind.
    Noble_One

Answer by Noble_One at 12:33 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• hot milk or a small glass of hot coacoa
    Nerdymama

Answer by Nerdymama at 5:16 AM on Jan. 2, 2010