my daughter is a whinner

My daughter turned 2 in september and is a big cry baby. When she was a year old i broke her from her bottle and binki and then when she was 18 months i had another baby and she no will not go anywhere or do anything without her binki and bottle! She refuses to potty train!! any advice is good advice!!

Perdy

Asked by Perdy at 12:28 AM on Jan. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It sounds like she is just regressing back a bit because the new baby is making her feel less secure in her world. She will grow out of it. I have boys, not girls but if it were me I think I'd just make sure she knew where the potty is and give her access to the bathroom when you are in there so she see's what it's about. Talk it up, make it seem like a great thing. She will get there when she is ready and not a minute before. Just be sure to keep your eyes open for her being ready. As for binkies and bottles, maybe try to get her excited to be a good example for the baby. Make sure she knows that the baby will learn how to be a big kid from her and that you really need her help to teach the little one about growing up. Sorry, that's all I've got. Good Luck.
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 1:00 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Wow... well first of all chill out. She is two not twenty! Rest assured she will get over it. What she is going through, is totally natural and normal. At two, it's great to introduce her to the potty, but if it's not done correctly, you can put a real fear into her and you will have a very rough time getting her trained. Give her some space and realize she's two. Let her know that she is every bit as important as the new baby. When you have kids this close in age, you simply have to be prepared to deal with stuff like this, or realize that you can potentially scar the oldest child for life... it all rests in your hands mom, hopefully you will raise a child without so much hostility as you sound like you have.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:32 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• She's two..most kids don't start potty training until three..She wouldn't be having a bottle and a binky if you hadn't had given it back to her.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 12:33 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• alrite to both of you i have 2 older kids that wer epotty trained at 2 and both broke from the bottle and binki by the time they were 1 and they are turning out great!!!and SARA i didnt give it bak to her she would steal them from her when i wasnt looking and i dont want to take them from her cause she found comfort in them and i dont want to take that from her! I wasnt asking for you to critize my parenting i was simply askin for any advice as to how i can potty train her so that i dont scare her away from wanting to use the potty cause i heard that if you push them to the potty they push away i was asking on ways to make it fun
    !! and other ways and things i can try with her to help her find security in something other then the binki and bottle!! and annom im not hostile i just wanted some advice sos thanks for that one
    Perdy

Answer by Perdy at 12:46 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• All kids are different. Just because your other two were potty trained at two doesn't mean that this one will.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 12:53 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• im very aware of that so i wanted advice cause my other 2 were easy this ones not hat are some ways to mabye help her get intrested in it?
    Perdy

Answer by Perdy at 12:59 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• She's 2, she's still a baby herself. I had 4 children in 5 years and I didn't push any of them to move out of the baby stage just because I had another child. She's obviously dealing with emotional issues since the arrival of the new baby. Address those issues and you will help her get back to where she was prior to the new baby's arrival. As far as potty training goes, just because the 1st 2 were potty trained at her age doesn't mean anything. She's not them. I had 2 potty train at almost 3, one at 16 1/2 mos. and the other was a few mos. past 3. Every child is different.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:49 AM on Jan. 2, 2010