Feeding for 4 mnth old??

My nephew is 4 months old and my sisters dr told her to start my nephew on cereal 1 tsp once a day and see how he does. He started eating that really well and a 6 oz bottle every 3 hrs and then a week later refused to eat it the cereal anymore so she called his dr and he said stop for a few days and start him again, well ever since she has stopped the cereal he eats 8 oz every 4-6 hrs. I was just wondering if anyone else had this problem with their children?? My son never did this so i was just confused and trying to get some advice from other ppl for my sister. Thanks!

lilmamab07

Asked by lilmamab07 at 12:34 AM on Jan. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I didnt attempt to give my kids any solids that young so I am not much of a help:( It could just be a coincidence, maybe he is going through a growth spurt and needs more formula/bm right now
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 12:39 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Try to mix the cereal in with the baby food but it has to be stage 1
    angl130pla

Answer by angl130pla at 12:42 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I dont think they are ready to feed him baby food since they are just starting cereal. Thanks for the advice!
    lilmamab07

Answer by lilmamab07 at 12:45 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Cereal tastes bad and he's too young for it. He's refusing because he's not ready and needs the calories and nutrition in formula/breastmilk. Cereal isn't needed at all. I would skip it and wait until at least six months to try real food. Food before age 1 is for fun not nutrition. Cereal is empty filler.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:07 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• He's not necessarily to young for real food or cereal. He just might not like the blandness of the cereal. It could be the type of cereal. Are they trying rice or oatmeal? My ds hates rice cereal but loves oatmeal. And he may be ready for other baby foods. We started ds on stage 1 foods the around the same time as cereal which was about 4 months. Try also seeing if its the flavor by buying the cereal that has fruit flavor in it. Ds loves banana oatmeal cereal. Gl.
    bjw_053109

Answer by bjw_053109 at 4:48 PM on Jan. 2, 2010