What am I doing wrong?

MY daughter is 3 months old... I gained 40 lbs during my pregnancy. since ive had her i work out at least 4 days a week i dont buy or eat junk food i eat a lot of healthy meals and drink a ton of water and im not losing ANY weight im just gaining what am i dont wrong?

TaiZombie

Asked by TaiZombie at 12:34 AM on Jan. 2, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• Are you gaining muscle? That weighs more than fat, but after you bulid the muscle you should start loosing the weight.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 12:36 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• i agree with sara.. it could be muscle wieght, keep it up for another month or so...if it doesn't get better ask you doc. they can measure you body fat content, and give you pointers.

good luck!
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 12:38 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I agree with PP
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 12:38 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Oh and what do you mean by working out? It takes cardio and strength training to loose a significant amount of weight.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 12:40 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Try taking measurements along with weighing yourself, if your gaining muscle the weight wont change but your body shape will. I try to rely on how my clothes fit and my measurements to gauge how my progess is coming along.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:03 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Are you doing cardio or strength workouts?
    If you're trying to lose weight you need to do cardio workouts. Those are the best way to lose weight without gaining muscle mass. If you're doing strength workouts you're going to gain muscle, which will show that you're gaining weight.

Also, it could be water weight. Don't drink a ton of water, but do stay hydrated during a workout.
    Cutting out junk, sugars, etc. Isn't going to cure your weight issues. It's about moderation. You can still eat what you like, just eat the not so good foods in moderation. Remember, that even fruits and veggitables have a lot of salts and sugars in them. So eating a lot of those can still cause you to gain weight. Nothing in excess is good for you, not even fruits and veggies. Therefore, eat in moderation and eat three solid meals a day. Limit your snacking as well.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:22 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• To gain enough muscles to offset fat loss you'd have to be doing serious strength training several hours a day. Otherwise it's just something fat people tell themselves to avoid admitting they're slacking. Make sure you're not eating too much salt. Boxed and canned foods, frozen dinners, even the so-called healthy ones, are filled with 2 and 3 times the amount of salt you should have each day. The more salt you eat, the more water you retain, and unlike the fake muscle mass people like to blame, retaining water really will increase your weight by ten to twenty pounds. Do at least 8 glasses of water each day, and combine carbs and proteins at each meal. Do at least 30 minutes of cardio at a stretch, at least 4 times a week, and add 2-3 days of strength training in addition to that 2 hours. Try to do 6-7 snack sized meals each day, you'll eat less and feel fuller, and you'll be less likely to eat garbage that way.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:06 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• This is how I recovered from my pregnancy and I highly recommend it.

http://www.bikramyoga.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maV2InOTsOc  It may look hard but its for all levels, many people start it as physical therapy.  I honestly love to do it.  You can find a class near you in the first link.  If you have any questions please PM me.

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 2:14 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• We all have different definitions of healthy eating.

Here is what I suggest:

First, drink your water! At least 8 8oz glasses a day. Add a glass for every beverage you have with caffeine or alcohol
    Next, eat your fruits and veggies; 7-8 servings a day, in at least 3 different colors. Eat an apple or big pile of veggies before meals.
    Start replacing your white/simple grains (white rice, white pasta, white bread, you get the picture) with whole grains (brown rice, whole wheat pasta, barley, quinoa, whole grain bread, etc.).
    Now cut way back on (or eliminate) meat and dairy. Eat at least one serving of legumes a day: beans, lentils, tofu, etc.
    Eating healthy, combined with the great exercise that you are doing, will have you at a healthy weight in no time.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:02 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Also keep in mind that you have to burn 3500 calories to lose 1 lb!!
    I bought myself a bodybugg and it was the best thing I ever did... I've lost over 10 lbs in 4 weeks with this little dude on my arm. It has made me take stock of myself and pay attention to what I am consuming and burning. They are $200 though...
    Definitely drink your water, watch your sodium intake, cardio is important, veggies and fruits in addition to carbs and protein just like the PP's have stated.
    Good luck!
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 9:13 AM on Jan. 2, 2010