How to get Labor started...38 weeks..

Okay so I need some advice.. what can I do to get labor started.. I'm 38 weeks, and have been having mild contractions for about 2 days now.. Saw the OB on Wed, she said I was completely softened, and 1 cm.. the lil guy is pushing on my crotch, and it totally hurts! I've tried doing a few lunges, and walking up and down the stairs..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:51 AM on Jan. 2, 2010 in Pregnancy

• People will give you all sorts of suggestions. But the bottom line is that none of it will work until your body and baby are ready. Some women are ready and go into labor and have healthy babies at 38 weeks. Others it's earlier, but most it's much later. I tried EVERYTHING and my DD wasnt born til 42w 2d. Because that's when she was ready and that was normal for me. Sorry I dont have any advice except, dont get discouraged. It will happen in its own time! I know you dont want to hear that, but its true. :-/
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 12:53 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Just let nature do it's thing, it's safer for you and the baby that way.
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 12:54 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• IF your body is already working on it, what is the point in forcing things along?
    Sounds like you are doing well without help! ;-)

My suggestions are to appreciate these warming-up contractions are important and relevant and not necessarily indicating that anything needs any help. So take a break (it may be your last for years and years...), try to rest and eat and hydrate and see a movie...
    BTW-- the longer period of contracting might indicate a "mal" position. See if you can do some exercises to coax baby anterior. Might help an asynclitic issue... who knows. But these contractions are a possible indication that your body is working something out.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:24 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I would say stretch, relax drink lots of water and take walks everyday. That will help prepare your body for labor when it begins. It will happen when it is meant to. If you are completely effaced you are closer than some, this will mean the contractions will have an easier time dilating you. Good luck and congrats.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 2:46 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• how you are feeling is really normal for the last weeks of pregnancy. my advice would be to just wait a few more weeks, and you baby will come when s/he is ready. gl!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:59 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• you wait. It will happen when it happens.
    SashaJ

Answer by SashaJ at 9:47 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I was completely softened and 3cm for about the last 8 weeks with my first. He was 2 days late. I was completely softens for the last 2 months and 1cm for the last 4 weeks with my second. Dialation doesn't mean anything. I know women who didn't dialtate at all until labor started.
    Like the other ladies said; it will happen when your body and your baby are ready. I wish I never would have gotten checked because knowing you're dialated just makes you think it's going to be sooner and that's not always (or even very often) the case.
    Hang in there momma. If this is your first, then pleat take my advice and enjoy the last days (or weeks) and rest as much as possible. I have a 2yo and a 3month old. I haven't slept through the night in over 2 years lol
    ProudMommy21408

Answer by ProudMommy21408 at 11:07 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• My dr told me that sex really helps and I had my baby at 38 weeks. Good luck and walk a lot.
    lilliebabe

Answer by lilliebabe at 10:59 PM on Jan. 4, 2010