Homeschooling & College

I will be homeschooling my daughter when that time comes. There is still one thing, after all of my research that I am not quite clear on. What happens when your child is done grade 12? How can the child move on to college? I read over and over all of my states homeschooling laws and requirements, but it just says this:A child educated elsewhere than at school does not receive a state-endorsed high school diploma from the board of education. If the child educated elsewhere than at school re-enrolls in the public school to obtain a high school diploma, an assessment is made as to the child’s compliance with state and local requirements and eligibility for a high school diploma.

The child educated elsewhere than at school may also obtain a New Jersey State High School Diploma: by passing the General Educational Development (GED) Test.

(cont.)

tiffers32788

Asked by tiffers32788 at 12:53 AM on Jan. 2, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Does this mean that my child can only receive a GED? Or am I misreading something?
    tiffers32788

Answer by tiffers32788 at 12:53 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• That's what it sounds like. So even if she's homeschooled until twelth grade, she'll still have to take the GED test. Why not put her in school when she starts high school?
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 12:56 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• If you do not re-enrole your child into a public/private school to be assessed by the public/private school board of education then your child can only recieve her GED. Based on your state laws your child can only recieve a GED if she is not enrolled in a public or private school at the time of graduation. Therefore, if she graduates from school through a home school program, then she is required and only allowed to obtain a GED. In this day and age a GED is equal to a High School Diploma given out by the public/private education system. Since soo many children have dropped out or for some other reason were not able to aquire their HS Diploma, the state country (and business') see the GED equal to the HS Diploma.

You can go to an adult education center and enroll your child to aquire her GED, or your Home School Program might have a facility where they have the child do the test.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:02 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I have thought about that, putting her in school for highschool, but something tells me that would be way too big of adjustment after so many years of homeschooling. Not to mention my own high school experience is one of the reason I have choosen to homeschool. By the time I made it to 10th grade, I kept failing because everything was SO boring, there wasnt a thing that I could do to make myself even remotely feel like I was learning anything, because I wasnt. We were made to read books that I had already read on my own when I was in 4th or 5th grade, made to do math in ways that do nothing but waste paper, learning the same history lessons year after year...I feel like I learned nothing at all in high school, I want for my daughter to ALWAYS be learning without being forced to do the same lessons year after year.
    tiffers32788

Answer by tiffers32788 at 1:06 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• You don't know that she's going to be like that too. And I think that it would be a big adjustment having to go from homeschooling to college without being in standard school enviorment. And employers, whether they will admit it or not, do look at a high school diploma and a GED differently.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 1:11 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• First of all, ask someone who knows what they are talking about, not someone like Sara who openly admits that she thinks homeschooling is a bad idea. Colleges are actively recruiting homeschooled kids, and employers won't be paying attention to the GED if there's a college degree to look at. There is no difference between a GED and a diploma, despite what the genius who can't even navigate her way through college there would tell you in her vast never having held a full time job experience.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:39 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• When have I ever said I don't like homeschooling? Anon, I think you need to do your research before you type. I do have a full time job. And I'm doing quite well in college, thank you. And I never said that she shouldn't homeschool her child. And yes, jobs do pay attention to whether or not someone has a degree or not. In fact, I had a job where they wouldn't except a GED, only a high school diploma.

Again, know what your talking about.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 2:02 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Join one of the CafeMom homeschooling groups.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:57 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Look for a homeschool support group in your area where the locals are equipped with the knowledge for your area and state. I know in some states a requirement in order for a child to be allowed to be homeschooled is that they take the state benchmark exams at the same grade levels that the public school children take theirs. It just contains the basic information that every child is required to learn, even homeschooled children. For high school, they can still take the state proficiency exam and some states will recognize a homeschooled child's complete academic abilities and give them a diploma from the state especially for homeschooled children, which is recognized as a diploma by all colleges. It would also be wise for any homeschooled child to take their SAT's prior to finishing high school in order to show a college their competency levels aside from state exams.
    Best wishes!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 11:06 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I will add that I have a 2 friends who are and have homeschooled their children.
    Mary homeschooled until she had to work full-time and that was about the time her daughter was ready for 10th grade and her son was still in an elementary grade. Both made the adjustment extremely well when they entered the public school system and her daughter began college in fall 2009. She also graduated 5th in her class. Mary still 'homeschooled' them on subjects that interested them that the public schools did not offer.
    Melanie has always homeschooled her 2 children and used to be active with it. Now that she works full time and is in college full time she can't be actively involved anymore, but she still checks their work. I fear that her children may not be meeting the basic state standards, but time will tell.
    Whatever happens in the future, happens, and you will just need to be supportive as you are now. {{hugs}}
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 11:14 AM on Jan. 2, 2010