I think my dog is going to die :(

I have a 12 yr. old dog who has been drinking water excessively and urinating frequently. I understand this is probably diabetes, but I can't get him into the vet until next week. Also, he's been losing control of his bladder the last couple nights, and last night he was panting a lot (and it's not hot, and all he was doing was laying there). Has anyone been through this with their dog? Anyone familiar with canine diabetes? I've been so worried about him.

betheroo

Asked by betheroo at 1:15 AM on Jan. 2, 2010 in Pets

• Im sorry i havnt been in this situatuion i just wanted to say i was sorry you and your dogs going thru this makes me sad!!!
    Perdy

Answer by Perdy at 1:18 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Panting could be a sign of pain. What breed of dog?
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 1:22 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Aw sweetie I'm sorry I can"t help but here"s a bump. Wishing peace to you and your pup :(
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 1:22 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I had this problem with a puppy once. try putting some syrup 6n his tongue. not a whole lot tho. i hope he gets better!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:26 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• If you're hesitant because you have animal insurance even animal pet insurance allows a pet owner to go to another vet who offers that insur. And most animal insurances you have to pay upfront for services first and then get reimbursed. sigh we've looked at pet insurance for all of our own animals.

What you're describing is way out of the ordinary physically for your pet. That is a pet emergency. Your own vet has to have emergency protocol in place for daytime and afterhours too even holidays and weekends. Sometimes he's on call sometimes vets give afterhours emergency calls to other vets - they swap emergency times.

Your puppy dog is older. Waiting a week can definitely hurt him if he is internally in distress. I would either just show up with him at a vet if you trust that vet's care w/o any doubt even though he's demanding a week's wait now. OR

take him to a different vet with set emergency plans in place.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 1:38 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• op, I've held three beloved animal children of my that were my children for between 15 and 19 years when they each died. I know the worries and scares of elderly age in pets.

I hope you can get him in very soon. It could be as simple as a bladder infection not necessarily diabetes type illness. Panting hard and the pee can be signs of bad disease, dying. But it also means his body is just working differently not necessarily extremely bad towards dying.

But he is telling you somethings definitely wrong, his body is telling him and trying to compensate. Call around, go on other vets websites and see what you can do.

pm me if you want. Loving pets is as scary as loving another human. Prayers for better health.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 1:43 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Thank you so much for your kind answers. He is a Basset Hound/ Collie mix. He was with me through my teenage years, going off to college, getting married, buying a house, and welcoming my two children home. I've had him since he was 6 wks. old, so this has been a very sad few days for me. Even in his pain he is being sweet and loving toward my kids. He seems more distressed at night, but during the day he's been acting fairly normal, even being playful. He's on Rimadyl for his arthritis. At my vet, if it's emergency hours, they refer it to a different vet hospital, and the only reason I haven't taken him somewhere else is that if I end up needing to euthanize him, I want it to be somewhere familiar to him, and with a vet he knows. We don't have pet insurance, but now I sure wish we did!
    betheroo

Answer by betheroo at 2:06 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I just added pictures of him to my profile if you're interested in seeing what a Basset/ Collie mix looks like.
    betheroo

Answer by betheroo at 2:50 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Has he been getting regular blood test while on Rimadyl? I hate to say this but my DH is convinced that Rimadyl ended our rotties life.

http://www.srdogs.com/Pages/rimadylfr.html

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 2:56 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• aww what a Beautiful Dog. I understand your concerns about traumatizing him. Since its a weekend and maybe your vet isn't open, does the emergency vet offer house calls? He can still exam with listening to his heart beat and physical exam, plus pull bloodwork which would be good for him even it it was done several months ago.

Also protein in the urine could be a problem and that can be caught into a container and poured into a ziplock lock bag and rezipped again for sterilization to keep cold til test later that day. Be sure to label so thou so family members don't think it's oj!!!
    Protein in the urine made one of my other dogs (now deceased) when we first got her.

My fifteen year old dog a lab mix has lost weight in six weeks and another pound in a couple of weeks past that. He has lyme disease and a severe heart murmur. We get bloodw. ev.8wks.

Bloodwork now very soon for your pup can stage him in illness.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 3:26 AM on Jan. 2, 2010