sleep question -pulling my hair out!

my 16 month old son goes to sleep well; we put him to bed around 8 pm and he goes down with out a fuss. However lately suddenly wake up around 1 am screeching and slamming himself into the crib trying to make as much noise as possible. I have tried everything to get him back to sleep, rubbing his back, singing too him, doing the 5 min, 10 min, 15 min CIO thing; nothing helps.
When he wakes up he tells me he is hungry - if I try to feed him he doesn't want to eat. He tells me he needs a bum change, he doesn't. If it is me that goes in he wants his dad, if dad goes in he wants me. He will do anything to try and stay up. He will even hit his head off the crib so that he can say that he is hurt - he does it very lightly and never hurts himself, he also does this during day time tantrums too so if anyone has a way to get that to stop I would love to hear it.
How do I get him to go back to sleeping through the night?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:23 AM on Jan. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Is he eating anything right before bedtime? That could be waking him up. Honestly, I think he's going it for attention. He might want a big boy bed-but I'd be sure of that before I switch him. The first time he does it, you might try and explain to him that it's bedtime.

Oh does he have a night light? My son hated going to sleep because he was scared of the dark but once I got a night light he was fine!

My son is two and he's started to get up in the middle of the night. He wants to sleep with me and I let him fall asleep in my bed and put him back in his bed later.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 1:26 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• He gets a snack before bed and he does have a night light. I really think he is doing it for attention, but I am also starting to get worried about night terrors
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:29 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• It most definitely isn't night terrors. He is doing it for attention. Most people don't like to do it but I have let my DD cry for an hour before when she was doing this stuff, it is hard to do but it works. You have to ignore him, it is bed time and we stay in bed at bedtime.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 2:39 AM on Jan. 2, 2010