Is anyone else's baby on soy formula and if so does he/she get constipated? What do you do to relieve it?

My daughter is on soy formula cause that is the best that works on her tummy. She is 8 1/2weeks old. She has trouble going potty...she strains a lot. Once she gets the big "plug" is what I call it out she goes the rest just fine. I was wondering if anyone else has this problem and if so what are some ways to help it not get plugged?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:44 AM on Jan. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• ok mama, I was right where you are on this issue 6 months ago so here ya go:
    no juices yet, none, not even watered down. ask the doc about how much water she can have as in infants that young too much can cause a flooding of the system(not good). basically what I had to do was stimulate my son to go every few days, or use an infant suppository. you can use an adult one, cut in half LENGTH wise, lubricate the end and it will sslide in easily and not cause any pain. to stimulate insert a lubed q-tip just a tiny bit inside the bottom, and it should cause baby to go. it helps too while they strain to push their knees into their tummy, firmly but not abruptly.dont worry that using the suppositories occassionaly or stimulating will cause baby not to be able to go alone, thats a myth. good luck and yay for soy, saved my son from vicious acid reflux and alot of pain.only someone who hasnt gone thru it would bash soy.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 3:39 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Regular apple juice works good.
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 1:47 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Did you recently switch to soy?
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 1:52 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• my daughter was recently switched too and the dr told me to give her a lil bit of water to loosen it up
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:00 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Apple juice is not for a 8 1/2 week old. Read the question pls "looovemybabies"
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:15 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I would never put a baby on soy formula unless there was absolutely no alternative.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 3:25 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I was surfing around a bit and found something that said to give your baby 1oz of water after feeding...Now I've also heard its not good to give babies water so ask your doc. Other people were mentioning gripe water...little tummys is one brand that make it....again check with you doc.GL
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 3:27 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I tried soy once and it made my son spit up so bad. So I have not done it since. H ope you find the help you are looking for.
    mrseckstein

Answer by mrseckstein at 5:04 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I had the same problem with my oldest daughter, they told me it's the extra iron that causes the constipation. Check with your dr about adding a tsp of dark Karo syrup to every other bottle, that's what the dr told me to do and it worked wonders!
    Chynasmom

Answer by Chynasmom at 8:47 AM on Jan. 2, 2010