Would you have called CPS in this situation?

On yourself? A week ago CPS showed up to investigate allegations of neglect and abuse on your 6 month old baby girl. You don't know who called, so this week, when your roommate and her friend are over you panick when your baby chokes on some trash you didn't pick up. In your panick you shake your baby and the friend rushes in with CPR knowledge to save your child. So, the next morning you call CPS to tell them that your baby choked, is fine now, but you didn't want them hearing it from someone else. Why would you call on yourself?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:35 AM on Jan. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• Feeling glitty about something. I would never call CPS on myself cause I would never do anything to my child that would warrent CPS coming to my home. Shaking a baby cause there choking will do more harm then good so maybe taking a parenting class and CPR would be the best for you and your childs well being.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:45 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• OP: I am actually the friend in this scenario. I have taken both CPR and parenting classes. I worked in a daycare for three years as well, so I am qualified. The person I know did this and I am trying to see if someone else can explain why they would call on themselves.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:47 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• It sounds like she's trying to cover her tracks. Are you the one who called on her? It sounds like she knows she did something wrong and that's why she called CPS. It should get her in trouble because you don't shake a baby in any situation.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 2:52 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Maybe she was just afraid that it was her roommate that called on her so she wanted to be honest. Still that is really stupid, and usually CPS has to tell you who filed the report. That is ridiculous, what was the reason for the first visit?
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 2:52 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• OP here: The reason for the first visit was that she left her baby in the bathtub alone while she ran around the house doing other things. She also was reported to have spanked the baby and leave the baby (a crawling baby) on her bed numerous times during the day and the baby keeps falling off the bed (at this time she just puts the baby back on the bed again like it didn't happen.) She also said that CPS told her she was reported for not strapping the baby into her rocking swing and allowing the child to fall out.

CPS cannot tell you who called. It's annonymous to avoid revenge being taken on the reporter.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:04 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I don't know about where you are, but in Florida, it is illegal for CPS to tell you who filed a report against you. There's a reason for that: they tell somebody called, you get mad and you go do something to them.

I wouldn't have called them on myself, lol, but I would assume that she is scared of losing her child, since that happens all the time and she wanted to be perfectly honest so they couldn't accuse her of lying or hiding things.
    madhousequeen

Answer by madhousequeen at 3:06 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Sounds like your friend needs some parenting classes.
    madhousequeen

Answer by madhousequeen at 3:07 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I would not call CPS on myself...as another poster said, shaking a baby to prevent her from choking might be helpful, however, if she had gotten injured from the shaking action, you could have been in big trouble later when it was found out. This is a very difficult question to answer actually.
    JaydeesLaydee

Answer by JaydeesLaydee at 3:34 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Pretty much never call CPS as they are not there to help you. They talk to you like they're your friend but really they are just trying to take your child away. It sounds like she just needs some parenting skills.have her get them on her own not through CPS because they will document that she needed to take parenting classes and it will be a mark on her record. Where is Dad in all this? Does he help alleviate some of the stress of parenthood from the mother? Thank goodnedd youwere there and could act quickly and appropriately but do not ever call CPS!!
    And the anon thing for CPS calls can be BS because I actually have crazy relatives that call on us all the time with obscure complaints. CPS knows this yet still harass my middle school kids at school during the day.My kids are afraid to go to school. Yes, i finally got a lawyer and we aretrying to take action.
    mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 5:44 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• What? Why the heck would you shake a kid who is choking? Even if I didn't know first aid that wouldn't be my first instinct. It would be to call 911. Mmmm I would never call CPS on myself because I don't hurt my child. He is well taken care of and is healthy. If he is hurt or choking I would call 911 or his doctor or take him to the ER. Not shake him and call CPS.
    rjpetty605

Answer by rjpetty605 at 7:58 AM on Jan. 2, 2010