Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how would you handle this?

My dh is running his own company. This past month he went out on the road with his stepdad. The stepdad, we came to find out had a company payment made out to his personal name and lied about receiving it. We called the company and they told us that it was cashed on Monday. Then just a few hours ago he had the company where he gets his loads from send him an email thanking him for changing his password. Hello that wasn't husband. So ladies tell me what can we do? What would you do? Dh's hard work is at stake. The company is over drawn and the stepdad is holding company funds and because we live in other state we can't just go and get the money or we would.

Answer Question

Asked by mandic at 2:42 AM on Jan. 2, 2010 in Relationships

Level 7 (187 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • You need to call the police where he is and have the DA freeze his account. What he did is fraud, and you need to deal with it right away. Also your hubby needs to put a freeze on all of the accounts etc for the company. Tell them at the bank that the check was a fraudulant withdrawl and they can help as well.

    Answer by truealaskanmom at 2:49 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

  • I would call the company that changed the password to warn that his account has been tampered with, there should be a contact number, normally password change emails say if you did not request this change please contact us at this number.

    If the funds were drawn against your husbands company account you need to let the bank know and also you will have to file charges with the police. If you want to file charges that is.

    Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:49 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

  • I would get in my car and go to this step-dad person no matter how far it is. That is call stealing.


    Answer by Anonymous at 2:49 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

  • ypou need to call the bank where the funds are and freeze the accounts. lie if you have to and say that you found out someone(dont have to say who) stole business checks, so halt all activity. they do it all the time, and then when step dad tries to cash out, its frozen. meanwhile call the police and ask how to proceed. since its a partnership or fam buusiness and this other guys name ison it, you have to be trickyandfast.good luck. also might want to be careful letting clients know as was suggested,(the password thing) because word gets around fast and others may not want to bother with the drama andtakebusinesselsewhere.

    Answer by Bearsjen at 3:23 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

  • you need to call the police this is embazzlement, it is very illegal and although the man is family you can not allow it! your dh needs to talk to his mother about this as well, also have hubby contact all people he does business with that would be making payment to his company and make sure that ALL checks are writen to the company not to an employee, this sounds very fishy to me because it seems as though a business would know to make payment to the company not a person

    Answer by mommie2twogirls at 3:42 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.