Any one on welfare and receiving unemployment benefits??

I got laid off from my last job in Oct 2009 due to economy. I applied for unemployment right away and have been searching for a job. I also applied for food stamps and cash aid to make ends meet, I have a 2 year old daughter and have to pay rent...anyways, my question is, do i have to report to the unemployment office about the cash aid and food stamp? and if so do they stop sending me checks???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:02 AM on Jan. 2, 2010 in Money & Work

• I think you have to report any and all income to either agency, but if it was me, I might not. But you can go to a search engine like ask.com and find out. or google your employment offices info I am sure they have a questions section about what you have to report. or on monday, call them up anon and say you are just curious. that way if the answer isnt what you were hoping for, and you dont want to report it, they dont know.
    times are really hard right now, and I commend you for doing all you can so that your dd, and YOU are taken care of. thats what its there for to help people who need it. never let anyone tell ya different and best of luck to you in the new year mama.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 3:15 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• you only report earnings from a job to the UE dept, you do have to report your unemplyment to the DHS office. Food stamps are not considered earnings from a job.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 3:18 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Of couse you have to tell unemployment about the cash aid you get and the welfare office will adjust your benefits.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:22 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• cash aid and food stamps are not the same as earned income, look over your booklet you got from UE and you can even call and ask but the ONLY income that UE cares about is earned income which means you can still get child support, food stamps, WIC and cash aid and none of it affects your unemployment benefit.

I just helped my firend go through this a few months ago when her husband was laid off, she had no idea what she qualified for so i sat down to help her figure it out and none of the aid that she qualified for in any way affected her husbands unemployment benenfit.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 3:36 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Welfare and UE have a system connection so that UE knows what you get on welfare and welfare knows how much UE you get.
    how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 2:36 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I called Public Aid to acknowledge my cash benefits and they discontinued my cash. This was just last week. If I were you, I'd rather call it in than take a chance on having to pay it back. The only benefit to reporting it asap is that they may not lower your food stamps. I didn't and mine were cut. So I got a double whammy. Fortunately, thus far, they haven't asked me to repay it. I know a person who has had to repay it though. THIS IS ON THE REAL! Word of caution: You don't ever wanna play games with Uncle Sam, the State or the City. Sooner or later, all get caught.
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 5:25 PM on Jan. 2, 2010