Im breast and formula feeding,how do i get more milk?

I am Breastfeeding & formula feeding at the moment.I regret putting him now and he starts fighting me,what can i do to help bring my milk supply back more.

LukasMummy

Asked by LukasMummy at 3:13 AM on Jan. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• BF is a supply and demand system, the more you nurse, the more you make. You can try pumping after he's done feeding. Try not to supplement and if you do try to pump for the missed session. Check out the BF groups on here, everyone is very helpful.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 3:17 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• be careful , some of the breastfeeding groups here have members who get really nasty about formula, just a heads up. i had a mom rip me apart, left that group and it happened in 2 more before I found just a reg baby group that was open to all types of feeding.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 3:29 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Most groups that are hard asses without being helpful will say so in their introductions. There is a group called FF and BF unite, you can try that one if you feel you might get bashed. True BF advocates want you to succeed, they don't want to discourage you.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 3:38 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I agree with Farrahann ...it's kinda the more you do it the more you get. But pumping during the times you are supplementing would help a great deal. Good luck
    Shaqbe4u

Answer by Shaqbe4u at 4:06 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Please don't take it as being "nasty", but breastfeeding advocates will tell you to drop the formula and power through with the breastfeeding. It's not bashing formula, but a simple fact that for every bottle of formula your body will make less milk. If you want to formula feed, great. But if someone tells me that they want to breastfeed, I will always advise them not to give formula. Some people can do both successfully, but for most women it is the death of their supply.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:47 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• First, stop the formula, because it is decreasing your supply. Here is how I successfully handled my supply issues:

Nurse frequently
    Drink lots of water, at least 6 oz every time you nurse and every time you pump
    Have lots of skin-to-skin contact with your baby
    Take brewers yeast tabs
    Look at pictures of your baby while you pump
    Wait at least an hour after nursing to pump.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:53 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Well as everyone else has said breastfeeding is supply and demand and every bottle of formula is sabotaging that demand. Your choices are to get a supplemental nursing system and use it to give the formula (a tube that attaches to the breast and thus stimulates the breast to produce but the child gets the formula too so they aren't starving) until your supply does come back. You can just quit giving bottles and spend a couple days in bed with your LO doing nothing but nursing to get supply back, or you can try to pump while someone else gives the bottle of formula to stimulate more production. There are also many things like drinking lots of water, fenugreek, brewer's yeast etc to increase supply.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 9:32 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• stop the FF and just breastfeed. pump either during nursing sessions or right after, it helps stimulate more milk production. take one FF feeding out every 2 or 3 days and replace it w/ a nursing session.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 12:35 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• yup thats what i have been doin,it is fine at most times,i have been drinking lots of water also pumping.but for the mums that want to bitch about how we feed our children what are they to do if they run out of milk?just let baby starve??i had to put him on formula when i dont have enough.but thanks for the heads up guys.it only happens at times now.i breast pumped for 20 on each and i think that started it goin well again,had a moment of him yesterday,he was crying cause he couldnt get enough so i just gave him bottle.but havent since then
    LukasMummy

Answer by LukasMummy at 8:54 PM on Jan. 4, 2010