so i breast feed right and my little one has 4 teeth on top that just came out and 2 in the bottom whom he has had, and he bittes i tell him to stop but he smiles at me like if its funny, how should i get him to stop?

please help me with an answer if you know of something i could do besides stop breastfeeding cause he is not even a year old.......... :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:29 AM on Jan. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Flick the bottom of his feet and tell him no. Also when he does it pull him off, and tell him not to bite put him back on and repeat.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 5:35 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I always flicked his chin just to suprise him. I then said no. If he continued I stoped the feeding for a few minutes.
    mama32177

Answer by mama32177 at 6:25 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• lol, mine's doing the same thing!!! I snatch the nipple out of her mouth & tell her no! She likes to start to chew when the milk is almost gone. Yours might be signaling you that he's about done on that side. Or he could just think its fun. :)
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:36 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Immediately pull him off, get in his face, and say NO! very firmly.

This is a discipline issue, and it is very important to be consistent.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:42 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• When my LO started doing this, I'd plug her nose with my fingers so she couldn't breath (the doctor told me to do this so its ok to do) and she would instantly pull off. After about a day and a half of doing that, she never bit me again and I breastfed for 16 months.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 9:03 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• i always used to say no kind of loud so it stratled my baby and pull off for a few seconds
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:11 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Immediately PULL him INTO your breast and scream as loud as you can in pain (over exaggerate if need be) then put them down for a few minutes before continuing on the OTHER side. Pulling them in long enough for them to let go makes them associate something bad happening to THEM for doing it. I did this once with my oldest and he quit and I had to do it 3 times with my youngest and she quit too. My oldest nursed until he self weaned while I was pregnant at 18 months and my youngest is still going strong at 29 months!
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 9:27 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I flicked his cheek and said no really loud. he hasn't bit me for about a week now =) good luck.
    Hali_Taylor

Answer by Hali_Taylor at 9:29 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• My youngest son bit me once while nursing, and it hurt so bad I screamed, and it scared the daylights out of him and HE started screaming and crying!! LOL!! He never bit me again though. I've heard that you should pinch them when they bite you while nursing because a pinch feels like a bite. I don't know, like I said, I only got bit once and my screaming was enough to cure him.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 9:57 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I breastfed both my DD's and when they bit the first time I pulled them in to see if that would work. PS I asked my pedi with the second. And this is what she told me to do. Pull them in and stop feeding and tell them no. If it continues after restarting then to bop them on the mouth if it continues. Not to do flicking. You actually flick harder then a tap to the mouth. My last daughter was the hardest to break of it.
    illinimomof3

Answer by illinimomof3 at 10:04 AM on Jan. 2, 2010