Should I take him to the dr?

My 6.5 month old has a really stuffy nose and a cough but no fever. He acts fine during the day but has trouble sleeping. At what point should I take him to the doctor?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:41 AM on Jan. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If he doesn't have a fever there isn't really a need to see a doctor. Just keep sucking out his nose, put vapor rub on his feet with socks, warm baths with vapor bath, a humidified by his bed, and extra feedings. That is all you can do and all a doctor is going to tell you to do, so save the money and hunker down for a few long nights and lots of at home remedies. Good luck, and get some good coffee.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 5:46 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• If he starts messing with either of his ears, or he starts running fever, take him in. Make sure his nasal passages stay moist with a few drops of saline in each side right before bed and possibly using a cool mist humidifier if you have one. Keep a close eye on his symptoms because it can be easy for a cold to lead to an ear infection. Hope he feels better soon.
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 7:40 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I agree with the first 2 answers here but I would add that maybe you could elevate the head of his bed, my dr suggests using a phone book to do this. Elevating the head of the bed will help any congestion from accumulating in his throat and chest and help him breathe.
    Chynasmom

Answer by Chynasmom at 8:50 AM on Jan. 2, 2010