Should I take him to the dr?

My 6.5 month old has a really stuffy nose and a cough but no fever. He acts fine during the day but has trouble sleeping. At what point should I take him to the doctor?

Asked by Anonymous at 5:41 AM on Jan. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If he doesn't have a fever there isn't really a need to see a doctor. Just keep sucking out his nose, put vapor rub on his feet with socks, warm baths with vapor bath, a humidified by his bed, and extra feedings. That is all you can do and all a doctor is going to tell you to do, so save the money and hunker down for a few long nights and lots of at home remedies. Good luck, and get some good coffee.

Answer by truealaskanmom at 5:46 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• If he starts messing with either of his ears, or he starts running fever, take him in. Make sure his nasal passages stay moist with a few drops of saline in each side right before bed and possibly using a cool mist humidifier if you have one. Keep a close eye on his symptoms because it can be easy for a cold to lead to an ear infection. Hope he feels better soon.

Answer by Krysden at 7:40 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I agree with the first 2 answers here but I would add that maybe you could elevate the head of his bed, my dr suggests using a phone book to do this. Elevating the head of the bed will help any congestion from accumulating in his throat and chest and help him breathe.

Answer by Chynasmom at 8:50 AM on Jan. 2, 2010