how can i help my 2 year old start talking

heelo, im a first timne 20 year old mother, who currently lives alone with her 2 year old son Allen. my problem is Allen just recently started fallowing me around like a duckie so i figured this is a great time to try to advance his skills in communication some more. currently he says nothing, just some dadadada and papapapa and so on, baby rambling, no real words yet let alone there meanings. so i wanted to know if there was anything i could do to try to help him learn how to talk, so far im the only one in my home, and i try labeling everything for him like "did you want your cup," and "allen do you want an apple" but he says nothing, he doesn't point, or grunt or really make any noise, he just puts his arms out and if its not given to him he starts to scream. so i wanted to know whut do i do O_O

Lakoia

Asked by Lakoia at 9:40 AM on Jan. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Make sure his hearing is ok then go buy him a See & Say so he can play, hear the words and then he'll repeat it. If that's not possible then just keep sounding out words with items. Make it fun. Like if he has a duckie for his bath, pick it up and show him the duck and say the word Duck then quack like a duck.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:45 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• If you have any concerns I would call early intervention in your area and get an evaluation for him. Labeling everything is good, but he should have more words by now and even if they place him in the normal range for his expressive language then at least you know for sure there isn't a problem and he will progress at his own speed in time. If there is a delay, the earlier you catch it the better it will be for him.

Answer by missanc at 9:51 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• The most important thing to do is to give him the opportunity to talk. My oldest had speech problems (he didn't say anything until he was nearly 3) and we were told that filling the silence was the key. One of the exercises we were told to do is to sit on the floor and roll a ball to him. Each time we rolled the ball we said "ball", on the fourth roll we didn't say anything to give him the chance to fill the silence. If he didn't say ball we just started over. So it's finding something that you can say over and over and give him a chance to repeat ("jump" was another favourite). Once he started saying the one word we added a word, like "red ball" or "Alexander jump". Soon his speech just took off.
    Myantek

Answer by Myantek at 9:54 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• My oldest has speech delay. We had to see a speech theropist. She said to talk about everything you are doing. When she wants something encourage her to say it and not point. So if she points to a ball. Keep saying ball and try and get her to say it. We also do did use soem sign to help with some of the frustration. Once she was not so frustrated it really helped her out.

But if you are really worried I would talk to your Dr.

We had a program inour area that was for free for us. So she went to Preschool for 3 yrs before school. It has helped so much and the program contuines through school. So she is getting all the help she needs and it helps us money wise too.

Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on Jan. 2, 2010