How do i get my "hyper" 2year old to sit down and read with me

hello i am a stay at home mom, i am new to the mommy world so im looking for a little help. i have a very hyper son Allen, hes prone to bursts of energy where all he wants to do is run around and or scream. we don't give him much sugary foods, he gets no candy or cookies or anything all his sugar comes from is natural sugars in fruits and such. But i find it hard to just sit down and read books to him. he cant talk or read or anything yet, so i want to read stories to him. But it seems like the only time i can get his to sit with me is if its bed time, and were cuddled up in the rocking chair. i have books and flashcards to try to coaks him into it, but i just cant get him to sit and stay sitting when i want to read with his through out the day.

Lakoia

Asked by Lakoia at 9:48 AM on Jan. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Bring him to the library and have them recommend books and let him choose some books. If the books you're choosing aren't appropriate for his age he won't sit for them. When my son won't sit for a book I let him leave and keep reading. He usually comes back to see what's happening.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 9:51 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Some children that age are just high energy. Mine was always high energy when he was little. If you try to force him to sit still so you can read, you could push him to the point that he doesn't like books and reading at all. Go with bedtime for now since he is good with that and play other things throughout the day.
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 9:53 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Something else you could do... pick out an age appropriate book, sit down, and just start reading out loud even if he isn't sitting with you. Try then when his is not in the middle of one of those bursts of energy you mentioned though. You might find that he will voluntarily come and sit with you if he notices you reading out loud on your own.
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 9:57 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I agree with the previous poster. My almost 3 year rarely likes to sit and read book, unless we are at the library. I just read out loud and she eventually comes and sits down with me. I always thought I wasn't getting through to her, but she can pretty much recite green eggs and ham and few other books so I guess she is listening.

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 1:28 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I'd start with reading at bed time while you are cuddled. . . just choose books with great pictures and few words on each page (personally I like Sandra Boynton board books like Barnyard Dance and Oh My, Oh My, Oh Dinosaurs or Snug House Bug House by Susan Schade)
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 11:19 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• first off dont force the issue. second make sure the books are age appropriate. third make the books available to him to look at whenever her wants to without asking ( board books are usualy the best for this age) he may just not be ready for books yet be patient and model the behavior you want to see. if he sees you reading for fun he wil want to too. when you do read let him direct the reading. turning pages, how you hold the book (even if it is upsidedown) and when to quit (even if it is before you are done with the book) at this age you are fostering an intrest in literacy not teachin them to read. so dont push it to hard. it will happen eventualy.
    allforthelove

Answer by allforthelove at 8:11 AM on Jan. 3, 2010