Is six two young to have a nintendo DS?

My dd turns 6 in a couple of days and she has been asking for a DS. I don't know though I think she is a little to young for it . when I was 6 we didn't have all these game systems to play with we played outside!!

brandy2186

Asked by brandy2186 at 10:10 AM on Jan. 2, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My sons (7 and 4) each have a Leapster. They also have a Clickstart, which is for learning, and my old Dreamcast, which is just for fun. I have a Nintendo ds that I use to play Brain Age, but my 7 year old has a few games for it that I let him play, like Wall-E and Night at the Museum. He's only allowed to play it in the living room and has to give it back to me when he's done. That way nothing gets lost. Overall, they both play the Leapsters the most and we use the Dreamcast and ds more as a reward for my oldest.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:00 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I personally wouldnt. Kids should be outside not playing video games, but my friend got her 5 year son one for Christmas
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 10:21 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• We got our 6 yr old son a Leapster2, it's more of a learning game. We felt the DS was too expensive and more for just playing games than learning.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:22 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• My son plays outside when weather permits, but he is 6 and he got a ds for christmas from grandma and loves it
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 10:31 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• If you doubt her having it, then I would wait.

We had my mother in law get our boys Leapster2 last year for Christmas (they were 3 and 5 then) and they still use them. They're more durable and very educational and entertaining. I've even sneaked a few minutes on it when they weren't looking.

Cafe Jenn
    Cafe Jenn

Answer by Cafe Jenn at 10:35 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• No, my niece got a nintendo ds lite for christmas with 4 games. She play better than I do, she actually have to show me what to do. Six and up is the age required for the machine.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 10:53 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• My 6 year old told me to tell santa not to give her a leapster for christmas because it is very boring, so we got the 4 year old a leapster, and she loves it.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 10:54 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I think a leapster 2 is more age appropriate. We got my daughter a ds and she just turned 7 in October. The games she got you have to read with more of a 1st level :). She has a plain leapster and still likes to play with that as well.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 11:41 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I think 6 is too young but I have no problem with parents deciding for themselves. I'd much rather my kids play with educational video games such as leapsters.
    ICPclwnLOV

Answer by ICPclwnLOV at 11:54 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• most definatly my little boy is 7 and he's already lost his brother adn his sisters pens games and dropped and cracked their ds's much to expensive for a litte one the games are teeny tiny imagine you child losing abig toy imagine trying to find tiny pens and games...
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 11:59 AM on Jan. 2, 2010