Anyone with little girls....HELP!

My 3 yr old DD is VERY obsessive about wearing dresses only and does NOT want to wear pants at all. I don't know if this is some kind of 3 yr old thing or if she is OCD.
She also tugs at her panties constantly, especially if she's wearing leggings or pants. And when she gets in her car seat, tugs at her crotch to get her panties just right and if they are not just right, you better watch out. She cries throws fits and freaks if things aren't perfectly fitting her. Is this some faze? HELP ME, PLEASE!
I am SO tired of fighting her about this everyday.

1lilgirl

Asked by 1lilgirl at 10:32 AM on Jan. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would take that as it's uncomfortable for her. Maybe you should try different brands of panties to find one that fits her properly. Grown women can discard clothes that don't fit right but little girls can just complain until an adult listens. As for the dresses only, that's what she likes so don't waste money on pants. That's not OCD. That's knowing what she likes.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:38 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I agree with the pp. Maybe they are too tight on her or something and just uncomfortable. As for the dresses, my twins went through this during the summer (they will be 4 next month). It is what they liked, so I just let it go and they wore dresses a lot! Then they moved onto something else. At this age they are just testing everything to see what they like the best!
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 10:42 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I agree that you should try some different panties, maybe ones that are more stretchy and wont move around as much as she moves. Take her to the store with you and have her try them on if possible. That way she can tell you what she likes. My daughter loves to wear dresses too (shes 4) and I pretty much just let her. If it is really cold I'll tell her to wear a dress over her pants, or just do leggings instead of tights.
    neehill

Answer by neehill at 10:46 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• It's a stage and not worth worrying over. YOU wear what you like, so why shouldn't she?
    As for the panty problem, I would also take her to her doctor to be checked out. She may have a yeast infection, a UTI, etc.
    madhousequeen

Answer by madhousequeen at 10:56 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I did try a bigger pair of panties, but that didn't work. I look at her bum and they aren't in her bum at all. It's more like up her crotch area. She has a weird body. Tall up top and short waist. I do let her wear dresses, but I should try it with Jeans, cause it's COLS here and she likes to be out.
    I guess i will try a totally different brand of panties. I just feel liek I can't please her. I want to pull my hair out!
    1lilgirl

Answer by 1lilgirl at 10:57 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Definatley need new panties, keep trying till you find ones that she likes. Her areas down there are sensitive so the rubbing from the undies is gonna irritate her more than us who've gotten used to it. Sitting in her car seat is gonna make her undies bunch, I have to dig mine out every time I drive dh's lifted truck. Give her time to adjust herself, don't rush, ladies should readjust themselves in as much privacy as possible, not in the middle of the parking lot screaming "Mommy my underware hurt" :) this is only the beginning of her doing things that makes you wanna pull your hair out =)
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 11:06 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I know wearing only dresses is a normal stage, I remember going through it myself. I remember jeans being especially stiff and uncomfortable, do you think she would be willing to try something softer like sweatpants on really cold days?
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 11:31 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• It could also be allergies to the material. Try panties made of different fabric. The nylon ones may work better. You may also have to use a different detergent for her panties. The sensitive skin there may not like the one you're using.
    madhousequeen

Answer by madhousequeen at 12:00 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• My 3 1/2yo is in the dresses only phase. She's my 3rd daughter and I think most girls go through this phase. Even the tomboys like my oldest wore dresses a lot when she was 3.
    Unfortunately she picked winter to go through this stage and ends up throwing on her stretchy pants underneath her dresses, lol, even when she's wearing tights because it gets cold in our house. Unless we are going out into the freezing cold I just let her be. She has about 6 or 7 dresses (most of them short sleeved from summer) in her drawer and it's about all she wears.
    As for the underwear. They probably aren't fitting right. I'd check on that. Mine hasn't complained but I noticed all her older 2T-3T ones are getting a bit snug even though she is a skinny little thing. It's probably time to move up a size or try a different style if she is in a 4 (the girls section will have different styles). My 9yo wears bikini style because of her size.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:20 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I went through the same phase as a child. First be sure that she doesn't have some issue down there. Be sure her undies are the right size. Try a different cut. But if there are no problems, indulge her. it won't be long until she'll be running around wearing grungy clothes and you'll be missing these days when seh actually let you dress her like a girl.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 1:03 PM on Jan. 2, 2010